PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have a BBB in a near identical shape, no case though.

Such flow

I saw that ad too late. Good for you. 😜
Thanks, Tim

I couldn't believe when I saw it listed by @paulfg.

I do think that this will be my last Barling. Unless there is one that absolutely call out to me.
I now have 2x 7-day rotations of Barlings.
But as I only smoke on weekends, it is probably more accurate to call them 7x 2-day rotations rotf

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's painful to realize that at one time you could just walk into a shop and buy something like that at any time, innit?
I do wonder how affordable Barlings were, back in the days.
It's the silver mounts, and the cases and general presentation that I find impressive.

Do current day new pipes still come in cases, other than meerschaums ?
Unfortunately that's lost skills. 😕

Just the other day someone posted a query about a replacement spigot. It's somewhat disappointing that it is difficult to find artisans that can do this readily.

And George, when you decide to retire your tools, will there be someone with your skills to take over ?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Do current day new pipes still come in cases, other than meerschaums ?
Unfortunately that's lost skills. 😕

A lost skill indeed, but In fairness to modern artisans cases were always a speciality requiring scale to be produced. The larger pipe factories had entire departments dedicated to their production (photos of these in operation survive for several of the more famous brands) while smaller makers relied on a handful of individuals who focused on the manufacture of cases for the trade. Here is the city directory listing of London-based suppliers in 1902:

31744125-3C7A-40FC-9F40-E7087E2781BC.jpeg

And of course economies of scale, both for individual players and the industry writ large, are not the only consideration. Like so many things (bling on pipes, for example) prevalence of cases declined as tastes swung from one direction to another.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Another sterling addition to your collection! Mine pales in comparison. This pipe looks very similar to the bent billiard in my 1907 cased companion set.

rqGtzxt.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's a cased 1903 #12. Just finished getting this amber stem fit for it while waiting for repairs to cure on the original vulcanite push stem.

Still needs a couple more layers of Carnauba, but can't wait - about to inaugurate it with Salty Dogs.

CqrnFmW.jpg

GRKy3qY.jpg

6sR6mku.jpg
Very nice piece. Originally this pipe came with both amber and vulcanite stems.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Very nice piece. Originally this pipe came with both amber and vulcanite stems.
Very practical idea

I have a tiny group 1 cased straight bulldog with amber and vulcanite stems.
Bought a couple of years ago from Ken Barnes

An idea borrowed by Peterson when they put out the amber-stemmed series a few years ago ?

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Very practical idea

I have a tiny group 1 cased straight bulldog with amber and vulcanite stems.
Bought a couple of years ago from Ken Barnes

An idea borrowed by Peterson when they put out the amber-stemmed series a few years ago ?
It was a common practice over 100 years ago, including at K&P. Any time you see an old case with space for one pipe and two stems, it was likely for a vulcanite and an amber...which is why I'm working on an amber stem to replace the one that's missing from this case.

Reactions: yanoJL and OzPiper