PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Steam causes it.
If it is primarily steam, explain why McBaren Virginia #1 produces a lot of steam and milder blends like the candy flavored cavendishes I smoke nonstop produce less.

It would be wonderful if steam is the primary cause.

I have a new pipe that takes 9mm filters.

Those ought to condense a lot of steam.

If steam is the villain he can be trapped and turned into water.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
If it is primarily steam, explain why McBaren Virginia #1 produces a lot of steam and milder blends like the candy flavored cavendishes I smoke nonstop produce less.

It would be wonderful if steam is the primary cause.

I have a new pipe that takes 9mm filters.

Those ought to condense a lot of steam.

If steam is the villain he can be trapped and turned into water.

I guess I'll concede that some people seem to complain about virginias. Maybe that's caused by a certain reaction. Cigarmaster says he's allergic to "red virginias", he's a season smoker.. Hard to believe it's his technique to blame.

But, most tongue bite mentioned on this forum is the result of poorly dried mild cavendish blends, and smoking too fast.

If they'd just buy a Lee pipe tongue bite would be a thing of the past.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I guess I'll concede that some people seem to complain about virginias. Maybe that's caused by a certain reaction. Cigarmaster says he's allergic to "red virginias", he's a season smoker.. Hard to believe it's his technique to blame.

But, most tongue bite mentioned on this forum is the result of poorly dried mild cavendish blends, and smoking too fast.

If they'd just buy a Lee pipe tongue bite would be a thing of the past.
Not counting stinger equipped and filter pipes, EA Carey still sells the most selling “gadget” pipe ever made.

Carey’s do not filter the smoke. They have no stinger or trap to condense smoke.

Instead they allow in and mix with the smoke a very tiny amount of air.

Yet the little paper sleeve on my Carey’s will always be dripping wet after a smoke.

Carey’s are very easy on my tongue.

Years and years ago when I still got tongue bite the Carey’s bit me least of all.

So maybe it’s both, steam and irritants.

worlok

Lurker
Jun 28, 2021
techbait.net
I'm somewhat sensitive to orientals. They dry my mouth and tongue and can singe the roof of my mouth and where my upper teeth meet the gums. I just suffer through my favorite blends that contain it but once I switch to Virgina or burleys I'm good.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I believe that it is a combination of heat and tobacco resin in your mouth. Smoke does not cool completely from the bowl to your mouth and neither does the resin. The stronger the tobacco, the more resin gets deposited on your tongue. The heat from both open up the pores on your tongue and the resin is deposited. Neither has to be hot. Warm will get it. If you expose your mouth to a 30 minute smoke that should be enough to get it if you are inexperienced. The tobacco you choose can make quite a bit of difference as well.
jef

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I believe an experienced pipe smoker subconsciously avoids tongue bite by his technique. It takes years of practice.

But while it’s possible to be bitten by the heat of the smoke stream (before you learn how to avoid it) the root cause is concentrated heavy tars coming through a tiny hole, on your tongue.

Filters, stingers, and other such gadgets not only cool the smoke, more importantly the heavy tars are prevented from biting the tongue.

Maybe it’s 25% cent physical (heat) and 75% chemical (tars) responsible.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I'm somewhat sensitive to orientals. They dry my mouth and tongue and can singe the roof of my mouth and where my upper teeth meet the gums. I just suffer through my favorite blends that contain it but once I switch to Virgina or burleys I'm good.
You should not have to suffer through anything brother. You seem to know what type of blends work for you. Stick to them.
jef

Reactions: Briar Lee

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Experienced smokers can try the wrong tobacco for their needs as well. But their experience tells them when to quit. They have already been there. They know pretty quick when a tobacco is not right for them.
jef

Reactions: onestrangeone

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I am of the opinion that toungue bite is actually caused by two different factors. On the one hand you have a chemical reaction that irritates the tounge. For me this is what happens when I smoke Virginia No. 1. The second factor is when you actually burn your tounge due to excessive heat.

I can usually tell the difference. When I attempt Virginia No.1 and get the dreaded pain my tounge will typically feel better in a couple of hours and I am able to enjoy another bowl later in the day. When. I get bite from got tobacco, like when I am in a hurry and attempt to smoke damp tobacco l, my tounge and mouth are in a miserable state until later the next day and I am not able to smoke more for at least twenty four hours.

While these can happen concurrently, I believe that typically they are separate issues. As such, I believe most new pipe smokers fall into the physical burn camp most often due to often smoking to wet and to tightly packed tobacco that they attempt to keep lit as they use their pipe like a blast furnace.

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
Tongue bite is a queer thing for me. I've been smoking Sillem's Linea Era Antique which tastes like a better MacBaren: Mixture Scottish Blend to me. Smoking it right out of the tin hasn't burnt me like other aros would a bit moist. I still let most of my smokes dry for about half an hour before hand, but that one never leaves me with the ache.

Now, in comparison, I tried some Old Joe Krantz the other day, and it definitely got my mouth going. As others have stated, the ph of burely must not sit right in my mouth. I came off with an odd feeling that had me dumping the last third after enjoying the first two thirds.

I just chalk this down to myself not taking burley blends well chemically. And it was from a bulk bag i just set asside on a table for a month and a half. Not too crunchy, but definitely dry enough. Funny thing being the Sillem having some burley in it and not affecting me too much.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
The root cause kind of eludes me. I remember early on it seemed like every VA bit me. Even when I took it slow. Now I can really cheef on a pipe if I want to and still avoid tongue bite. No clue what I'm doing differently, but I've not been bit in quite a while now. One thing i know of - I pay more attention to moisture content and packing even though both are kind of subconscious practices for me now. Puffing changes depending on my mood or situation (or blend).
I really think it's just one of those things that takes time to learn what works for you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not something I've suffered, likely another subjective to the individual thing.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee, you left out PH Balance, unless you meant this for the Chemical side of things...
I hate scientific terms, but scientists are useful to artists, dreamers, philosophers , storytellers and bullsxitters.

—-

Abstract​

The pH of tobacco smoke is a determining factor in its acute toxicity. With a rise in pH above 6·2, the smoke contains increasing amounts of unprotonated nicotine, the most toxic form of this agent. The pH was determined by puffing smoke over a highly sensitive combination electrode. Measured were the pH of the total mainstream smoke of some domestic, foreign and experimental cigarettes, as well as of some cigars and little cigars. The pH of individual puffs of cigarettes made from Bright tobacco and blended tobacco decreased slightly, from pH 6·3 to 5·6, with increasing puff number. The pH of puffs of cigars and little cigars increased from about pH 6·5 to above 7·5. The pH of smoke from cigarettes made from Bright tobacco varieties increased significantly as the height of the leaf position on the stalk increased. Total nitrogen, total alkaloids and total volatile bases of the tobacco showed a high degree of correlation with the pH of the mainstream smoke. Data on sidestream smoke are also presented. The findings of this study are discussed with regard to tobacco-smoke toxicity and inhalability.

——

As acidity increases it’s easier to inhale bright leaf.

As smoke becomes more alkaline the womens they looks at you like a nickel cigar smoking slob.

There is a reason pretty girls smoke Virginia Slims Menthol 120s and it’s not all because of long ago and almost forgotten advertisements. Those things smell delicious.

I’ve not checked it, but McBaren’s Virginia No. 1 should be highly acidic.

If we are talk science let’s remember Pi x R squared.

(The little boy said to his teacher Pi are round, cornbread are square.:) )

The smoke stream of every pipe runs down a long hole the size of a pipe cleaner. It’s concentrated on the tongue.

Cigarettes and especially cigars have a hugely larger area the smoke goes through towards the tongue.

Whether it’s acidity or alkalinity or heat or delicious heavy tars, whatever causes a pipe to be infamous for tongue bite and mouth burn and cigarette and cigar smokers never talk about it, is due to that tiny hole a pipe has through the stem, by my logic.

Although I can’t scientifically prove it.

Reactions: MattRVA

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
In this FAQ Greg Pease talks about tabac PH balance and bite.

Russ Ouellette talks about PH in this article.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Simplest answer : create big smoke clouds and you'll burn a hole in you pipe and your tongue. Clouds are for cigarettes, cigars, hookahs, and vapers. Wisps are for pipes.