SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hello again everybody,
thanks to all again who assisted in february nicely to identify the CHARATAN EXTRA.
Just waiting for a little parcel with a dublin-shape charatan extra.
That will be my third little wonder.
Will post pictures on arrival.

Nevertheless there are other real good stories which sounds little bit like "Indiana Jones".
One of this is.....
Did anybody get the chance to "clean" a longtime closed tobacco-/ pipeshop ?
Crazy job like Klondike River, but I love it..
E.g. unsmoked Dunis and Charatans from the sixties... - orig. Dunhill tobacco (vaccum seems to be ok)
from Early Morning up to Virginia, Standard Mixture ......
Lovely Cesare, Savinellis, Butz, Peterson, Hilson.......
No idea what will be the next.
Will post picture and think about really good ideas, what to do...

Hello Al
located in Germany.
I will offer step by step more than 500. No idea, how many and no idea about all brands,
cause lots of closed boxes. But seems to be nice and nicer old n.o.s. from uk, italy, france, denmark.
Just looking for best ways to do, cause most of all i`m smoker and collector.
To sell all the pretty babies will be a new experience
Dod

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Guten Morgan (CA time)....

Bitte: put your location in your Profile.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Guten Morgan (CA time)....

Bitte: put your location in your Profile.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
thanks - good idea - i add more details

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Because of questions - what You see is:

Left line -
1. CESARE lovely bulldog-style red rusti
2. CESARE bent red rusti
3. L&Co Mounted 970 Sterling - 1987
4. PETERSON Sherlock Holmes Silver Made in the Republic - 1989
5. PETERSON Captain Pete 107 Made in the Republic
6. PETERSON Kildare 381 Made in the Republic

Right Line -
1. DUNHILL 424 Made in England 16 - 1979
2. DUNHILL 51021 Cumberland - M i E 21 - 1981
3. CHARATAN Lane 4148 DC - black rusti - approx. 1960 until 1968 due to Lane stamp
4. CHARATAN Belvedere Free Shape 2/ Reg. No... - DC-stem - lovely red - approx. end sixties
5. CHARATAN brown rusti - 2615 - dublin - due to stem and CP must be late REUBEN- 1955?
6. CHARATAN brown - 451X - stem without DC due to X-version - after Dunhill took over Charatan
(mid sixties plus ten)
7. CHARATAN brown rusti - 275 - due to stem and CP must be late REUBEN- 1955?
8. CHARATAN black rusti - 1180 - due to stem and CP must be late REUBEN- 1955-1960
9. CHARATAN Lane 4148 DC - black rusti - approx. 1960 until 1968 due to Lane stamp

thats for today

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello Friends

just bought a Charatans Pipe "Extra".
A lovely Bent which is stamped only on left side:

CHARATAN`S MAKE
LONDON.ENGLAND
EXTRA 11

On stem the "C" runs in the "P" and is thin/ stem is the old one (no double comfort or saddle...)

Any known infos about this pipe welcome, because I only found one other Charatan stamped same way,
but the other owner has no helpful info about it.

I only know "Extra" as special mark for extra size on right side, but never saw this as a quality-level on left side.

Thanks to all and stay healthy
Torsten
You might also find some useful information in the Ken Barnes Posts section above the forum page. Ken trained at Charatan, which was managed by his father. He later went on to co-found James Upshall with Barry Jones, Charatan's head carver.
There are two pdf documents, one for Charatan and one for Upshall, which contain Ken's posts over a period of several years. There's a lot of information to be found there that is not duplicated anywhere else.

You might also find some useful information in the Ken Barnes Posts section above the forum page. Ken trained at Charatan, which was managed by his father. He later went on to co-found James Upshall with Barry Jones, Charatan's head carver.
There are two pdf documents, one for Charatan and one for Upshall, which contain Ken's posts over a period of several years. There's a lot of information to be found there that is not duplicated anywhere else.
thanks a lot !
The third EXTRA just arrived.
Lovely pipe - stem stamped CP, but looks like acrylic which is at least approx. 40 years later than EXTRA should be made..... perhaps a replacement stem.

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4
Hi

I remember the rarity is a late line by charatan/lane formed by Lane in the middle sixties, when he decided the list of traditional grades to grow up (see articles and pipedia).
This corresponds with the "L" for Lane - due to the "L" I suppose date about 1965 - 1975 and style as the
british-charatan-answer to all the very popular upcoming danish freehands of that time.
Nice pipe !
With little bit mineral oil or wax it would be interesting to see the grain.

...by the way - last weekend I found twelve brandnew charatans "L" and a lot of same Ben Wades.....