PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
So to start im still new to the world of pipes and pipe smoking. I recently got a Dunhill shellbriar estate pipe that needs some work. The first thing i noticed was the inner tube sticking out into the bowl. To be honest i had no idea what the hell that was. Thanks to this forum i got educated. The inner tube is broken and im not sure how to remove it. Do these pipes require the inner tube? From what i read its considered a filter and just helps keep the pipe clean longer? The stem is in ok shape. It has a small hole at the lip. How does one go about repairing a hole? Ive seen some talk about black superglue. If any of you could give me some insight that would be great. Screenshot_20220719-090300_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220719-090306_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220719-090256_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220719-090321_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220719-090851_Gallery.jpg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
there you go
a post from wayback on here

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
the innertube usually stops about where yours does but is cut at a 45 degree angle,its not put in back to front is it.
Many people discard the tube and smoke without it.
Its a bit of a throwback to the days before pipe cleaners

Alfred Dunhill Inner Tupes PA3104.jpg

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
the innertube usually stops about where yours does but is cut at a 45 degree angle,its not put in back to front is it.
Many people discard the tube and smoke without it.
Its a bit of a throwback to the days before pipe cleaners

View attachment 157775
It looks as if there is only a little bit of the tube left. Its pretty good and gummed up in there.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
there you go
a post from wayback on here

I have a couple cheap estate pipes with damaged stems, this guide is great so i know what I’ll be doing this weekend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipe cleaners predate Dunhill by a little over a decade.
what is it with you and facts. It is people like you who ruined my businesses.0:) nah facts are great keep it up. Though i took throw back to mean dunhill was just doing something the old way out of tradition not practicality so hence the only reason to keep the thing is a certain authenticity.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So to start im still new to the world of pipes and pipe smoking. I recently got a Dunhill shellbriar estate pipe that needs some work. The first thing i noticed was the inner tube sticking out into the bowl. To be honest i had no idea what the hell that was. Thanks to this forum i got educated. The inner tube is broken and im not sure how to remove it. Do these pipes require the inner tube? From what i read its considered a filter and just helps keep the pipe clean longer? The stem is in ok shape. It has a small hole at the lip. How does one go about repairing a hole? Ive seen some talk about black superglue. If any of you could give me some insight that would be great. View attachment 157770View attachment 157771View attachment 157772View attachment 157773View attachment 157774
could plug up the fishtail and use the hole like a p-lip. Just an idea but personally it's what I'd do.

Reactions: Amarkey

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
So this is where i got after i got home from work. Got the luttle piece of inner tube out. Cleaned out the stem and got a majority of the oxidation out. Then hand polished the pipe as i dont have a buffing wheel. I still need to ream out the bowl but man this was satisfying. I have a never ending need to tinker with things. Guess thats why i ended up an aircraft mechanic haha.
Screenshot_20220719-192808_Gallery.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I cut a piece of old credit card to insert for hole repair (with a little vaseline on both sides). The accelerator is really helpful, particularly if you are not the patient type.
Good job getting that tube out!

Reactions: Amarkey