PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
So this past September, wow that long ago? I finished my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. All 2,190.1 miles of it, but who's counting?

I can likely say I was one of the few pipe smokers on the AT!. Started with some Boswell tabac from PA, and up in Gaitlinsburg resupplied with the No Locals blend from Gaitlinburlier. bought a pound of leaf from Richie there, and that lasted me up into NH to be honest, heard good things about Happy Jack, but had to have some stuff sent to me on a resupply box.

Honestly, On Trail, a pipe was an occasional treat. Not a daily thing. But there were some places where I really enjoyed sitting down and smoking a bit.

I tried to find a picture in my store of me with my pipe, but it seems when I had it deployed, I wasn't also the man behind the camera.

Cheers,

Todd *erehwesle*

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I’ve got about 700 miles on the AT. There are times it’s downright boring, especially the “green tubes” of Summer. Having a pleasant past time would be nice I am sure.

I enjoyed Springer to the Nantalha in Winter, but Max Patch was the best, especially in late Fall.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Congratulations for finishing up the A trail!! I got 420 miles on PCT so I know how difficult it could get sometimes..Yep I carried my pipe with me..Some great stories from that trip I will never forget...Honestly I think PCT is a lot nicer trail but each got its own beauty...

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
Congratulations for finishing up the A trail!! I got 420 miles on PCT so I know how difficult it could get sometimes..Yep I carried my pipe with me..Some great stories from that trip I will never forget...Honestly I think PCT is a lot nicer trail but each got its own beauty...
Does your name mean you are from NC?

Reactions: kcghost

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I did several hundred miles on the AT when younger. Really miss the hardwood forests there. I was leading a trip once for teens, and in NY there is a monastery that takes in hikers for the night and feeds them dinner. We kept hearing appetizing stories from hikers coming from there, especially appealing after our meager trail fare. Well, the night we got there they served liver, which was not very popular! Made up for it with doughnuts for breakfast, though.

8ball

Lurker
Jun 20, 2022
So this past September, wow that long ago? I finished my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. All 2,190.1 miles of it, but who's counting?

I can likely say I was one of the few pipe smokers on the AT!. Started with some Boswell tabac from PA, and up in Gaitlinsburg resupplied with the No Locals blend from Gaitlinburlier. bought a pound of leaf from Richie there, and that lasted me up into NH to be honest, heard good things about Happy Jack, but had to have some stuff sent to me on a resupply box.

Honestly, On Trail, a pipe was an occasional treat. Not a daily thing. But there were some places where I really enjoyed sitting down and smoking a bit.

I tried to find a picture in my store of me with my pipe, but it seems when I had it deployed, I wasn't also the man behind the camera.

Cheers,

Todd *erehwesle*
Wow, that is so awesome that you did the trail. I read "hiking through", and loved hearing the authors journey. Personally, I make it about 6-10 miles and im ready to set up camp, lol. Ive found trails by me that are about 25 miles. Nothing like getting out in nature.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice! Congratulations! I’ve hiked sections of the AT and several more of the Benton MacKaye trail. I have some friends who have done quite a bit of the AT as well. My Great Grandmother told me that that her Uncle did the entire AT right after it was first established. He sat out with a skillet, a couple of wool blankets, a 22 rifle and a few other bits of kit. They took him to the trailhead in Ga. in a mule cart and dropped him off. They didn’t hear from him until he wired them for a train ticket home about 6 months later. It’s a real accomplishment today, but I can’t imagine what it was like 100 years ago…..

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Nice! Congratulations! I’ve hiked sections of the AT and several more of the Benton MacKaye trail. I have some friends who have done quite a bit of the AT as well. My Great Grandmother told me that that her Uncle did the entire AT right after it was first established. He sat out with a skillet, a couple of wool blankets, a 22 rifle and a few other bits of kit. They took him to the trailhead in Ga. in a mule cart and dropped him off. They didn’t hear from him until he wired them for a train ticket home about 6 months later. It’s a real accomplishment today, but I can’t imagine what it was like 100 years ago…..
A lot less people and civilization...I only hiked PCT for 3 weeks first but feeligs I had afterwards were unusual...back in a civilization i felt too much noise.driving in a car was feeling that is too fast .rooms i entered were too square...everything felt different..And it was only 3 weeks in a real wilderness world....

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
What are the main differences of AT experiences in the 70's vs. now. More encroachment of towns/cities to the trail itself/heavier hiker trail traffic?? I've hiked portions of the AT in the 70's but have no experiences since.
back then you rarely saw another hiker. Hard to believe,but people were looked on as a but of a nut if they hiked.You had the whole Trail to yourself,and was a great place to go to get some solitude.Today,its not unusual to see 75 cars parked at a trailhead. As a consequence , the Trail is getting eroded and more rocky. I live in Pa . Overcrowding may not be a problem everywhere,but it is here.