PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Anyway, here’s a 10 inch Meer
Well damn, now I can't post a picture of mine...

Posting that, you're like the guy at the urinal line whose pipe makes an audible thud when it comes out.

I posted some pictures of pipes that I bought in the past, because I thought they were pretty and other people may also enjoy the art.

I was branded as a bourgeois prick.

The sentiment seems to come and go in waves. Sometimes people want to see a lot of nice pipes, and sometimes people get uptight over it.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
These days, if someone was to buy a high grade Eltang, Balleby, Becker, Chonowitsch, or a vintage Ivarssson or Nordh, the chances that they would post it here are slim to none. All the more so if (God forbid) they elect not to smoke it. Choosing to not smoke a newly acquired pipe has too often become an object of disdain in the forums, Instagram, etc.

My new ones usually have to wait for an opening in the rotation. When the right time comes, I know it, and the smoking experience is as good as it can be. I recently bought a Giacomo Penzo, which is one of the most expensive new pipes I've ever purchased. I'm dying to smoke it, but the moment has to be right. I know that makes absolutely no sense to most pipe smokers. It will most likely be tonight.

If I posted a picture of it, I would expect viewers to enjoy the superb craftsmanship of one of the best young pipe-makers around, but they could also choose to slap me silly for posting an expensive pipe. Perhaps add a gut-punch for it still being unsmoked, a poke in the eye with a sharp stick or even a humiliating kick to the crotch. I would never have heard of Giacomo Penzo if not for Mark Irwin posting his 309 tribute by Penzo. After seeing that gorgeous pipe, I was always on the look-out.

Reactions: Ag®o and mso489

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If I posted a picture of it, I would expect viewers to enjoy the superb craftsmanship of one of the best young pipe-makers around, but they could also choose to slap me silly for posting an expensive pipe. Perhaps add a gut-punch for it still being unsmoked, a poke in the eye with a sharp stick or even a humiliating kick to the crotch.
I doubt that any negative would come of posting an image of your new acquisition and I'd like to see it as this is a new name for me.

People have posted pictures of their treasures, pipes that look like misshapen and possibly gangrenous nutsacks, and people here say "nice pipe", or "very nice". Nobody says, "OMG, it looks like a gangrenous nutsack", except at their Zoom meetings.

It's nobody's else's business whether or when you smoke your pipes, despite the declarations of destiny dipshits.

Nice alliteration, no?

So gird your loins, or whatever it is that you gird, and let's see your pipe!

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Ok, well here we go.

Tom Eltang smooth Arne Jacobsen. Tiny pipe, but I like it fine, as long as Ashdigger doesn't saddle up beside me and make me feel all weird and confused.

It has nice birdseye, but the lighting from my terrace is all wrong in the moment. Otherwise the background is just a lemon tree, and that's not as much fun.

That's the island of Capri, mount Vesuvius in the distance. For anyone offended, it still is active, and maybe it could blow and send a jerk like me to another dimension.

In the distance is some A-hole with too much money to spend who just left port in their $40 million yacht, named Altair. Jesus... help me. I'm going to puke if I see ONE more yacht I can't afford. The nerve of some people.

Editors note: I secretly wished I was invited for a cocktail and feel shame that I am so lame to be overlooked whilst smoking this pipe, trying to project that I am refined and worthy. NOBODY even looked twice. Maybe size does matter...

Editor's editor note: Like Cosmic says, just about anyone can afford a "high end pipe" (unless you're living on the street under a cardboard box, in which case, you should maybe focus on immediate needs first) with some saving and discipline, if that's your jam. And if you're extra careful with cash, you can also smoke them on pretty islands in nice places. I spent most of my time working in forests, for F sake, and know all too well what a logging camp in the armpit of the boreal forest smells like.

Doctor's note: Stop drinking so many Negroni's and looking at an online forum to see when the next Gawith supply may come in. Relax man, and go eat some solid food. They're famous for it here.

eltang.jpeg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I doubt that any negative would come of posting an image of your new acquisition and I'd like to see it as this is a new name for me.

People have posted pictures of their treasures, pipes that look like misshapen and possibly gangrenous nutsacks, and people here say "nice pipe", or "very nice". Nobody says, "OMG, it looks like a gangrenous nutsack", except at their Zoom meetings.

It's nobody's else's business whether or when you smoke your pipes, despite the declarations of destiny dipshits.

Nice alliteration, no?

So gird your loins, or whatever it is that you gird, and let's see your pipe!

You and I must attend one or two of the same Zoom meetings, as that's my exact experience. The worst are the gangrenous nutsacks with poorly-executed circumcisions.

This pipe is NOT a shape/style I would normally acquire, but I love morta and could not resist the 'burlap sack' look on this one. It's really amazing in hand. Penzo seems to have no style limitations - I would encourage you to google his pipes and check out his capabilities.

002-782-0079.2512.jpg

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Ok, well here we go.

Tom Eltang smooth Arne Jacobsen. Tiny pipe, but I like it fine, as long as Ashdigger doesn't saddle up beside me and make me feel all weird and confused.

It has nice birdseye, but the lighting from my terrace is all wrong in the moment. Otherwise the background is just a lemon tree, and that's not as much fun.

That's the island of Capri, mount Vesuvius in the distance. For anyone offended, it still is active, and maybe it could blow and send a jerk like me to another dimension.

In the distance is some A-hole with too much money to spend who just left port in their $40 million yacht, named Altair. Jesus... help me. I'm going to puke if I see ONE more yacht I can't afford. The nerve of some people.

Editors note: I secretly wished I was invited for a cocktail and feel shame that I am so lame to be overlooked whilst smoking this pipe, trying to project that I am refined and worthy. NOBODY even looked twice. Maybe size does matter...

Editor's editor note: Like Cosmic says, just about anyone can afford a "high end pipe" (unless you're living on the street under a cardboard box, in which case, you should maybe focus on immediate needs first) with some saving and discipline, if that's your jam. And if you're extra careful with cash, you can also smoke them on pretty islands in nice places. I spent most of my time working in forests, for F sake, and know all too well what a logging camp in the armpit of the boreal forest smells like.

Doctor's note: Stop drinking so many Negroni's and looking at an online forum to see when the next Gawith supply may come in. Relax man, and go eat some solid food. They're famous for it here.

View attachment 146355
Not everyone wants to afford an expensive, whatever that means, pipe.

Given the storied experience of some, $ is not a prerequisite.

Reactions: JOHN72
Not everyone wants to afford an expensive, whatever that means, pipe.

Given the storied experience of some, $ is not a prerequisite.
what is wrong with you? This is exactly what we are talking about. You say this kind of stuff on almost all of the higher end posts

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread really took off. I think it makes a riveting read. I didn't find it a depressing Thursday at all. Lots of different points, points of view, nuance, and some comedy along the way.

I'm a big fan of and participant in the WAYS thread. I really dig the range and vast variety of both pipes and leaf. I like to take a good look at a 2K or 3K pipe now and then, as well as pipes at all price levels in unique settings and packed with totally various blends. I have to admit that sometimes reading WAYS and seeing the pictures, and posting myself, enhances my smoking experience. I guess it is the opportunity to share the experiences. Thanks to jiminks for keeping it going.

Thank you for joining this thread's discussion.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This pipe is NOT a shape/style I would normally acquire, but I love morta and could not resist the 'burlap sack' look on this one. It's really amazing in hand. Penzo seems to have no style limitations - I would encourage you to google his pipes and check out his capabilities.
The shape isn't one I would normally look at, but with this texture it makes infinite sense. Kind of reminded me of some of the Navaho baskets I bought years ago. What a very, very cool finish and great execution!

You and I must attend one or two of the same Zoom meetings, as that's my exact experience. The worst are the gangrenous nutsacks with poorly-executed circumcisions.

002-782-0079.2512.jpg
I would love to know how he gets that texture. Is it carved into the briar, or is it a covering?