PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I definitely believe in the probable de-evolution of human institutions and cultures, all that takes is a streak of corruption in key locations.

While de-evolution among animals isn't so likely without some astounding and detrimental changes to their environment, human evolution can certainly stagnate if we allow those who fear what is different from their exact selves to keep murdering the people who aren't exactly like themselves.

Jan 27, 2020
Well, on a serious note, it's impossible to note evolution or devolution in a life time, or even two or three. Humans have been very good at developing technology but I don't see from my rudimentary study of history that humans have evolved much in the way of morality, ethics, or have become more aware or in touch with the spirituality inherit to human consciousness. But yea, nachos are much better now than they were 200 years ago.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure if we are in the goon or god category, but the human animal is surely the most destructive on the planet, against some pretty powerful competition. I'm hoping we improve enough, in our own self interest, fast enough to save our ongoing species, but things don't look altogether promising.

• Sad
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Spotting a wise, well behaved human being in the wild these days is less likely than bumping into Bigfoot at the barbershop…. Spend five minutes at my place of employment, or Walmart, and it will confirm that.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I suppose we confuse the debacle of a culture or civilization with De-evolution, but they are not the same thing. Evolution is biological and there is no going back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always thought that in human development in one person, we sort of trade off some virtues for others, giving up some and acquiring others. If we're lucky, in maturity, we have some virtues left. That is why young kids seem so wonderful and talented ... when they do.