PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
If you are just keeping it I would spend 5 minutes with a dremel and get creative with those fills. Do a worm trail :)
I you want to rusticate it take a look at this video.

And if you want to finish it completely here's a few simple steps. After you rusticate it give it a light coating of a tad of wood filler diluted in water to the consistency of skim milk. Let it day completely and buff off the excess. Black alcohol based stain will cover most sins so I recommend it. But first, apply a coat of red stain, let it dry and buff it. Then apply the black over the red and let it dry. The red underneath will make the black look richer. Give it a light buff. At this point you could stop but to really finish it off apply a light coat of button shillac, let dry and lightly buff. Good luck. puffy

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I you want to rusticate it take a look at this video.

And if you want to finish it completely here's a few simple steps. After you rusticate it give it a light coating of a tad of wood filler diluted in water to the consistency of skim milk. Let it day completely and buff off the excess. Black alcohol based stain will cover most sins so I recommend it. But first, apply a coat of red stain, let it dry and buff it. Then apply the black over the red and let it dry. The red underneath will make the black look richer. Give it a light buff. At this point you could stop but to really finish it off apply a light coat of button shillac, let dry and lightly buff. Good luck. puffy
Thank you sir. Great info. If I go that route I'll follow your recommendations.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The only stamping on the pipe is bruyere garantie. That's the only way I knew it was briar. It must have been an ugly piece of briar, and that's why they coated it so heavily.
That would be French for "guaranteed Briar" which would indicate country of origin; the flair at the top is also indicative of St. Claude designs. I would guess a major house but a second or mass produced for another seller. I suspect you gotten a great pipe that will smoke wonderfully. Check how the shank and draft hole are drilled as well ... the french have their own method there too... I believe Sablebrush has written about that in the Comoy or Charatan thread (if i recall correctly). Before you rusticate or sandblast look at the grain of the pipe when uncovered ... you may just want to stain it as a natural. Only you can decide which is preferred. That coating was a "style" at one time (60-70s) so it may not be a bad piece of briar after all. Let us know as you progress ... I'm sure most of us are wishing you great success with it.
:)?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Reloader, You may find this of interest before you begin your project ... just another perspective. Hope it is of some help. Best wshes,

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss