PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Title edited for caps. Please read rule 9.

Hello all,

As a new pipe smoker (about three months in), I'm slowly trying out different blends and building up my cellar. That said, I've mainly smoked aromatics so far, and am now just starting to branch out into other blends. On that note, I was wondering if you more experienced pipe smokers had any suggestions for "essential" blends I should try, ie. well known favorites that have stood the test of time and are staples of any good pipe smoker's cellar. I would be grateful for any and all suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
honestly what ever sounds interesting or potentially good. Like there have to be blends that when they're talked about you either get curious or think that sounds good. Heck even if there are some blends that take more "skill" or experience to enjoy that can help you tighten up your technique. It's kind of a win win situation in my opinion. Only really guidance would be to try at least one or two things from the main categories. Get an english or two, get a va, try a vaper, certainly get some burly blends.... I say this every time, I think if any blends aren't good for beginners it would be aromatics. So if those are treating you well, you should be good with anything else.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Good grief, man, there are literally over a 1000 blends to chose from. You might try Peterson's Nightcap or Early Morning Pipe, or G.L. Pease's Quiet Nights or Six Pence, Amphora Original, or Erik Stokkebye's Luxury Bulls Eye Flake. If you look around you should be able to find to find a vendor who sells sample packs of tobacco. They will be in one ounce bags and you can get five or six of these at one whack.

Yeh, all you're going to get with your question phrased like that are people's favorites, because there is no one blend that we could all agree on as being good, nor standing the test of time, as recipes change and leaf used changes. Hell, we can't even come up with one that we all agree is terrible. I thought we had that nailed with Mixture 79, but then weirdos started smoking it and saying that they liked it... although... I don't trust them.

At this point, I suggest you just pick an English blend, and give it a good objective try. Which one? Just any of them, maybe avoid any that are called latbombs. Maybe Mixture 965 is as good a start as any.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Title edited for caps. Please read rule 9.

Hello all,

As a new pipe smoker (about three months in), I'm slowly trying out different blends and building up my cellar. That said, I've mainly smoked aromatics so far, and am now just starting to branch out into other blends. On that note, I was wondering if you more experienced pipe smokers had any suggestions for "essential" blends I should try, ie. well known favorites that have stood the test of time and are staples of any good pipe smoker's cellar. I would be grateful for any and all suggestions!

As noted above and (probably eventually below), it is a highly subjective thing. I would advise getting one or two of each type of blend: Burley, burley-heavy blend, Virginia, Virginia-Perique, Virginia-Oriental, English, and Balkan. You'll find the lines blur between styles sometimes (is Davidoff Flake Medallions a VaPer, or only if you eject the Cavendish center? What precisely is the difference between an English and a Balkan, anyway?) and it is the subject of some debate.

For a quick list:
Mac Baren HH Burley Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced, Cornell & Diehl Pegasus, Ascanian no 1, Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls, Ashton Artisan's Blend, LJ Peretti Royal.

You're liable to get a list of over a hundred blends if this thread progresses as they usually do.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I have recommended Orlik Golden Sliced to several beginners. It is, in my opinion, tasty while still being approachable. It is usually available at most places, not too expensive, comes at a good moisture level, not too strong yet has a nice tobacco flavor which satisfies me.

There are several C & D offerings that can obtained in sample sizes. Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, Briar Fox, Kajun Kake, Bayou Morning, Pegasus and Yorktown are a few that I keep around and regularly smoke.

As has been mentioned, try to get a few different samples and see where your taste buds take you. Part of the fun is in the journey itself. Enjoy!

P.S. Keep in mind that a beginners palate and tastes will likely change over time. What you like today you may not care for as much in a few months and vice versa. Don't throw anything out. If you don't like it now, jar it up. You may be surprised when you try it again later down the road.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd recommend you buy small quantities and smoke some single-leaf Virginia and some single-leaf burley, to see what those are, since they are the base tobaccos of so many blends. You may as well learn what they are, and how they taste (in general) so you can figure out what the many condiments and various proportions do in blends with them. Besides which, most of these single leaf are pleasant to smoke "neat." As mentioned in the earlier post, Amphora makes a pouch Burley and a pouch Virginia blend each, to make it easy. Or you can find a Virginia and burley as separate tobaccos in bulk.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
You have to explore on your own unfortunately. Everyone of us can list what we think are essential blends. However, what you’ll find out later is that our suggestions will be catered to our taste. Everyone’s taste is different, so I’ll not clog up your mind with what I think is essential. Explore & find your own essentials…pleasant journey. ?☕

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
What flavor appeals to you?

Cocoa? — Prince Albert / BLB
Citrus? — Orlik Golden Sliced
Berry? — Peterson University Flake
Vanilla? — MacBarren Vanilla Creme
Campfire? — HH Old Dark Fired
Vanilla/Mint? — Crooner
Cherry? — Cult Blood Red Moon
Nutty? — Carter Hall
Peppery? Plum? —a Perique blend
Sugar? — Match Sugar Barrel
Licorice? — Condor
Heavy Campfire? — Pirate Cake
Mild Campfire? — Presbyterian

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
On another forum, there's a list of Gold Standard Blends. If you google "gold standard pipe blends," you should be able to find it. Some of the people who created that list are members here as well. Like all lists, it is inherently subjective. Nonetheless, it's a very good place to start.
That's a great list but I was looking at it recently and a lot of those blends are hard to find these days. Still a good resource, but a bit more aspirational than practical now.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
That's a great list but I was looking at it recently and a lot of those blends are hard to find these days. Still a good resource, but a bit more aspirational than practical now.
Yes, it's amazing how many blends these days are out of stock more often than in stock. Good thing most C&Ds and Sutliff remain readily available.