PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What is the situation regarding P&T article "reprints" here, on your board?

I'm curious because both the magazine and the company which owned it are defunct, and I have no idea how (or if) copyrights apply in such situations.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I'm curious because both the magazine and the company which owned it are defunct, and I have no idea how (or if) copyrights apply in such situations.
I'd say this is one of the few times that it is actually easier to say sorry then to ask permission. I don't see who the injured party would be or maybe more importantly who you could ask if they really mind you sharing their work. And the thing is If there is no chance of making money most writers would chose to be read.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'd say this is one of the few times that it is actually easier to say sorry then to ask permission. I don't see who the injured party would be or maybe more importantly who you could ask if they really mind you sharing their work. And the thing is If there is no chance of making money most writers would chose to be read.
That's how I see it, also.

But logic and common sense has nothing to do with how lawyer's brains work, and I have no desire to bring Shit down on Kevin or anyone else involved with this site.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's how I see it, also.

But logic and common sense has nothing to do with how lawyer's brains work, and I have no desire to bring Shit down on Kevin or anyone else involved with this site.
I think up to a point he's protected against what we share. I think it's one of those his responsibility begins when he has been made aware of this or that. Which is why I think not asking might be best, because it could be a situation where the moment you ask he becomes culpable and party where before that he's not.
Or you know how torrent sites keep from being sued into the ground.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Are the articles copyrighted to the writer in any way? If so, you'd have to have their permission to use their work. I do know copyrights do not expire just because a magazine or a company folds.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
P&T never copyrighted anything. They felt the author could do so but they would not. So what you have to do is contact the author of the piece and see if it is okay to in another source. I used a number of items from them and when I asked the author of the piece it was always granted. Most of the time the author didn't know that he had copyright privileges. It helps a lot of you tell the authors what you are going to do with the piece. In my case I was just going to reprint it in the pipe clubs newsletter with zero return for me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I never signed anything for the articles I wrote, but that doesn't mean it was always how they did things, either as policy or by individual contributor.
Check the contents page and see if there's any print about copyright on the articles. Usually there is in magazines. Some magazines will claim copyright for the business whether the writer signs anything or not.

Reactions: anotherbob
Just give the writer credit if you are going to post things from articles. It is up to the copyright holder to enforce his own claim, and I am going to guess that it is not in his interest to pay thousands of dollars to protect something he wasn't making money on in the first place, and he certainly isn't making money on it now.

Unless you are asking about Kevin stealing his articles to post here as his own. Then obviously...

But, most print media understand the necessity of having their articles posted on digital medias like this. Hell, Facebook is full of it. Just post the writer and mag that something is from. People are always posting haikus, poems, or snippets from TV and movies. Heck, pipe books get quoted on here all the time. I don't think Kevin can be held liable.

I also would have just PM'd him instead of making a huge public post that puts him in the spotlight regarding this.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Turns out it doesn't matter, anyway. There's a max word limit on posts that would require chopping an article into pieces. Ditto photos.

Nevurrr mind...

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Turns out it doesn't matter, anyway. There's a max word limit on posts that would require chopping an article into pieces. Ditto photos.

Nevurrr mind...
I just realized that Kretek owns P&T, so copyrights are still valid whether the magazine is published or not.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Sorry guys. I'm on vacation in NYC.

Tobacco Media Group (TMG) in Raleigh, NC owns the rights to Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine, even though they are not currently publishing new issues. Maybe they will in the future. I have no idea if they will. They seem to give higher priority to B2B publishing.

They also own TobaccoReviews.com, amongst other assets.

To address another issue raised in this thread, Section 230 is a section of Title 47 of the United States Code enacted as part of the United States Communications Decency Act, that generally provides immunity for website platforms with respect to third-party content.

There are ongoing efforts to change the law to negate those protections, primarily because of "bad content" that gets posted to social media platforms, mostly Facebook.