What Maritime/Nautically Branded Blends am I Missing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've had a mind to include a maritime/nautically branded blend in my regular rotation.

I know that what does and does not constitute a "Navy Flake" has been controversial, and I don't want to get into it. Suffice it to say that what I'm looking for would have a VA base with a rum topping.

I'm open minded on whether the VA has been turned to cavendish, whether other components are included (a little latakia or perique), and so forth.

I know that branding is insubstantial, but I'll admit that I can be a sucker for it. All things being equal, I just like seeing a schooner or square rig or helm on the tin.
(I know that some maritime/nautically branded blends don't fit the category anyway - e.g. John Marr uses bourbon, not rum - and I'm still interested to hear about them.)

Here are those I've tried so far:
  • C&D Black Frigate
    (If I had to make a decision today, I might go with this. It was weird to process at first, but the more I have of it, the more it's growing on me.)

• C&D John Marr
    (IMO, this is nothing to write home about.)

• GLP Sextant
    (This may be in some respects "better" than Black Frigate, but the latakia is strong enough to categorize it with typical Englishes. And once you do that, there are Englishes I like better.)

• GLP Windjammer
    (This is a very tasty tobacco - in some ways tastier than Black Frigate - but I have an aversion to burley, and the burley presence in Windjammer is strong enough to keep me from choosing it.)

• SG Navy Flake
    (This is an extremely high quality tobacco. It's like a higher quality version of Black Frigate. But, BF is a bit rummier and a bit sweeter, and for those reasons I'd probably still lean toward BF. But this one's a close call -- it's outstanding.)
One that I really want to try is Dan Tobacco's Salty Dogs; but, then again, I'm scared that I'd fall in love with it and always be unicorn hunting thereafter.

I'm not asking for further suggestions because I'm dissatisfied with what I've tried thus far. I just want to know whether I've done due diligence before settling into a decision.

Is there something else I should try?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sutliff Queen Anne's Revenge, named after Black Beard's flagship which was found in recent times in the shallows in North Carolina, surprisingly in an area frequently combed by divers amateur and professional. The guess is that it was scuttled by the pirate to evade the Royal Navy which eventually captured and beheaded him and posted his head on the prow of one of their ships.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Sutliff Queen Anne's Revenge, named after Black Beard's flagship which was found in recent times in the shallows in North Carolina, surprisingly in an area frequently combed by divers amateur and professional. The guess is that it was scuttled by the pirate to evade the Royal Navy which eventually captured and beheaded him and posted his head on the prow of one of their ships.
MSO, I always love your posts!