PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I think it's great that so many pipe smokers what to share their knowledge with us. As we all know there are tons of videos on line with guys talking about all aspects of pipe smoking. Bravo!

Here's the rub. Almost all of them start (and many finish) with the star of the show sitting in his easy chair, fiddling with his pipe and mumbling his lines at a snails pace while trying to look wise. Boring! Come on people, we've all seen someone smoke a pipe before. Put it down and get to the matter at hand. You can smoke later.

Ding! Let the hate mail begin.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This has been a topic of conversation several times before. I've seen a few really good videos, but the vast majority of the pipes videos I've looked at are, for want of a more delicate term, pure crap. One of the biggest issues is that hosts have no concept how to structure a presentation, spending an inordinate amount of time proving that they're disorganized and boring. They'll take 10 minutes to get around to delivering about 45 seconds of info. And when you do get that 45 seconds of information it's often misinformation. Clearly they have no shame. So, I don't waste lifespan watching them.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
This has been a topic of conversation several times before. I've seen a few really good videos, but the vast majority of the pipes videos I've looked at are, for want of a more delicate term, pure crap. One of the biggest issues is that hosts have no concept how to structure a presentation, spending an inordinate amount of time proving that they're disorganized and boring. They'll take 10 minutes to get around to delivering about 45 seconds of info. And when you do get that 45 seconds of information it's often misinformation. Clearly they have no shame. So, I don't waste lifespan watching them.
It's like watching the History Channel, No History.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Food bloggers are the absolute worst for that. Just trying to get a recipe. Why am I scrolling for what seems like 5 minutes through your page. I just want to bake some bread, I don’t care about your family vacation when you were seven or how your grandparents met.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Yes, I agree. I've searched several videos over the last couple of years and found most of them disappointing.

I do; however, enjoy very much watching Mutton Chopper (don't recall if that's the correct name?). I admit it took me a while to get used to his pace on contrast to what I wanted when interested in a particular topic. As I watched more of his videos, I came to enjoy his comments and watching his pace of puffing/sipping.

My favorite videos are with Shane Ireland. I love the Mystery Tobacco vids on Smoking Pipes at youtube that have him as a panel member. And every other video on SP I've seen with Shane have be great!

My all time favorite includes Shane Ireland and Chuck Stanion in a two part series at Smoking Pipes on youtube discussing their own pipes and highlighting Jess Chonowitsch pipes.

kindly,
mike

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Put it down and get to the matter at hand.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize. If you don't like a vid, don't watch. And, maybe you should cobble one together and show how it should be done.

I, myself, never watch amateur videos. I'd rather stuff a bowl, when there is time and read a book as I smoke if at home.