What is the purpose of these? What do they actually do??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 20, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Just found this on James Fox Website
"
For over a hundred years this clever little wire basket has enhanced the experience of pipe smokers. The design, first registered on 30th November 1910, is still hand-made to the original specification at Sharrow Mills, Sheffield.

Designed to combat the build-up of soggy waste in your pipe bowl, they can ultimately help to improve the taste of your tobacco. By keeping the tobacco in the pipe away from any moisture, they can also help it to burn better."

Oct 20, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Unless you smoke pot out of a pipe, throw them away. Nothing to do with our hobby, er lifestyle, um activity.
For over a hundred years this clever little wire basket has enhanced the experience of pipe smokers. The design, first registered on 30th November 1910, is still hand-made to the original specification at Sharrow Mills, Sheffield.

Designed to combat the build-up of soggy waste in your pipe bowl, they can ultimately help to improve the taste of your tobacco. By keeping the tobacco in the pipe away from any moisture, they can also help it to burn better.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By keeping the tobacco in the pipe away from any moisture,
Drawing heated air and smoke down through the packed tobacco creates moisture. The only thing cool metal mesh is going to do is cause even more condensation like a stinger. Drying out tobacco and packing it lighter makes gimmicks like that obsolete.

Reactions: karam

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I remember reading in an old (like from the 40s) Pipe Magazine that they suggested using steel wool as a filter. This looks to be much the same idea. But there's no need for that stuff anymore. Pipe smokers have enough kit to deal with as it is.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A pipe, tobacco, pipe tool, lighter/matches, pipe cleaners, pouch, etc. Etc.
Ah.

I hat never heard the word kit used singularly like that without an "a" except for certain animal species babies. All I ever have on me is a full pipe and a lighter.