SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Altinay and SMS are probably the two top tiers in my books with AKB/IMP closely behind them. Or you can catch a rare Nate King one off that pops up from time to time... puffy

cBfqIoKl.jpg

I personally like a little less is more when it comes to meerschaums; really enjoy watching the internal patterns of the meerschaum as it colors on a smoother design.

• Love
Reactions: Casual and gervais

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
Are there any members here that exclusively smoke meers?
I smoke meerschaum pipes almost exclusively. I do have lots of nice briars but find myself reaching for one of my meerschaums almost every time. I find them to be great travel pipes as well, coming in their own case.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I smoke meerschaum pipes almost exclusively. I do have lots of nice briars but find myself reaching for one of my meerschaums almost every time. I find them to be great travel pipes as well, coming in their own case.
Can you give any personal opinions/experience on KBV meers? Those are beautiful ones in your avatar, by the way

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Are there any members here that exclusively smoke meers?
Yes, me! I have, or have had, meers from many different carvers, over almost 50 years of collecting. Every meerschaum pipe is unique, with many factors that determine whether it’s a keeper, or not. In my own experience, there are some Beklers that are stellar, and other Beklers that aren’t so great, for example. I have had the best consistent experiences with pipes crafted by F. Baki. So, there is no guarantee that a “name” brand or even a “master carver” will be to your liking.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yes, me! I have, or have had, meers from many different carvers, over almost 50 years of collecting. Every meerschaum pipe is unique, with many factors that determine whether it’s a keeper, or not. In my own experience, there are some Beklers that are stellar, and other Beklers that aren’t so great, for example. I have had the best consistent experiences with pipes crafted by F. Baki. So, there is no guarantee that a “name” brand or even a “master carver” will be to your liking.
Thanks for that, much appreciated. Makes sense. Even the best of the best can have an off day

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Regarding the OP I cannot really comment since I have not purchased a new meerschaum pipe since the mid 1980s which was a billiard which I wound up giving to a fellow in Georgia who was a Condor Pipe tobacco fan on this forum. The older pipes seem to perform better and the quality of the meerschaum seems to be in my opinion much better but then YMMV. The draw backs are the upkeep and general paranoia that comes regarding using something so old. The one pipe I purchased started coloring at the top of the mortice where the threaded tenon is inserted and slowly went down to the base of the bowl. How far it has got since it left my hands I have no idea as I have not spoken to Eric in years.