PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
So I've noticed when browsing these pipes that the price range is all over the place. Some intricate pieces that are similar in weight and size as some of the plain-jane pieces are actually half the cost. Is there a grading system that the manufacturer does to price this stuff?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is there a grading system that the manufacturer does to price this stuff?
Yep but the carver's name and brand figures into the overall price.

A $180 no name lion versus a $296 IMP.

20211110_133628.jpg

I'll post this example :

View attachment 108181
View attachment 108182

$150

Compared to:

View attachment 108183
View attachment 108184

$85

That's a big difference in price
Same difference as a smooth briar versus a rusticated one. A smooth is almost always more expensive.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on an AKB. If you must have a Meer( I think they suck) IMP is considered a highline Meer at a reasonable price. I bought mine from a seller of Meers on ebay.
I paid 250.00 for the following Meer. It is a smooth IMP Meer with silver. It has a good sized bowl, my guess it is a large group 5. I have smoked it 3 times and each time I wished I was smoking one of my broken in briar pipes. The Meer smoked hot and the stem sucks ass. I knew I shouldn't have bought it but I was told IMP was a great brand by people who are into good Meers.

I will eventually get off my ass and sell the thing, I am sure someone will enjoy it as it is a pretty , well made pipe. I guess Meers are just not my thing. Here she is.

Reactions: gervais and yohanan

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on an AKB. If you must have a Meer( I think they suck) IMP is considered a highline Meer at a reasonable price. I bought mine from a seller of Meers on ebay.
I paid 250.00 for the following Meer. It is a smooth IMP Meer with silver. It has a good sized bowl, my guess it is a large group 5. I have smoked it 3 times and each time I wished I was smoking one of my broken in briar pipes. The Meer smoked hot and the stem sucks ass. I knew I shouldn't have bought it but I was told IMP was a great brand by people who are into good Meers.

I will eventually get off my ass and sell the thing, I am sure someone will enjoy it as it is a pretty , well made pipe. I guess Meers are just not my thing. Here she is.
Surely not every single AKB is a dud, I would hope! Lol

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I got one of the lower priced ones. It’s ok. Thin walls, crappy bit. Get an Altina

Perhaps they have different grades, like that of briar pipe companies? That's the only thing I can think of, looking at the price difference between alot of them

Reactions: Casual

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

A $180 no name lion versus a $296 IMP.

View attachment 108186

Same difference as a smooth briar versus a rusticated one. A smooth is almost always more expensive.
dang it I was going to say the same thing. The thing you pay for in Meer is the carver and their time. The material is cheap unless it's carved into something nice.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
dang it I was going to say the same thing. The thing you pay for in Meer is the carver and their time. The material is cheap unless it's carved into something nice.
They do grade by translucency, purity, and color but a lot has to do with who carved it.

Reactions: TheWhale13

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That's a good point.

Perhaps they have different grades
Yes. It's almost like grading diamonds. A trained eye, or at least some familiarity, can spot the difference.

Maybe @Said.ALTINAY can elaborate on this.

I think my Altinay Meer is great and wouldnt hesitate to order a few more, but each to their own.
One of the really nice things about the Altinay line is the quality is held to a higher standard and is better overall. You simply can't go wrong with one. (The Ascanian No 2 is one of my favorite blends BTW.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I probably should've mentioned above when talking about Kenan that does carvings for AKB, he's the same Kenan Kokbudak that made my favorite meerschaum.

20211031_231420.jpg

Reactions: vates and gervais

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I hadn't considered that but one of their classic shapes with translucent meerschaum is a beauty to behold.
Never really been a fan of straight classic shapes. I like them with a bit of a spin. The translucents seem too fragile to me. Seems like a lack of mineral deposits.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
One of the really nice things about the Altinay line is the quality is held to a higher standard and is better overall. You simply can't go wrong with one. (The Ascanian No 2 is one of my favorite blends BTW.

Not only the pipe and drilling, but also the stem on this one with the larger button is also right up my alley. For the OP, if you consider a meer I would also look at Altinay.

I didn't have much vapers yet, but untill now I like Ascanian, curious how it compares to #1.