PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Contrary to a previous post, the pipe tobacco tax hike has not been reintroduced at any point in the last week. A nicotine provision that would affect vapor, etc. has been reintroduced. Note that the previous post cited a source that gave almost no information and the headline itself reads "Nicotine Tax Thrown Back in..."

Here is the text of the most recent draft itself. Do a control + F for "tobacco" and you'll find the exemption to the tax for traditional tobacco products. If you ctrl + F for "tobacco" in the previous draft --- THAT is the Tobacco Equity Act. What exists in the current bill is a nicotine tax for hitting vapor and other distillates (see screenshot of the text itself).

1636155708844.png

To answer your question about whether any nicotine-containing product is caught in this provision, the text specifically exempts pipe tobacco (and cigars, etc.) even though they contain nicotine:
1636155825866.png

If you need a summary, here's an article by Seek Alpha, which is a reputable company for business information. This article is behind a paywall so here's a screenshot.
1636155244113.png

I would suggest to anyone wanting to post regarding legislation to cite to primary sources or at least reputable sources that include citations to primary sources.

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Contrary to a previous post, the pipe tobacco tax hike has not been reintroduced at any point in the last week. A nicotine provision that would affect vapor, etc. has been reintroduced. Note that the previous post cited a source that gave almost no information and the headline itself reads "Nicotine Tax Thrown Back in..."

Here is the text of the most recent draft itself. Do a control + F for "tobacco" and you'll find the exemption to the tax for traditional tobacco products. If you ctrl + F for "tobacco" in the previous draft --- THAT is the Tobacco Equity Act. What exists in the current bill is a nicotine tax for hitting vapor and other distillates (see screenshot of the text itself).

View attachment 107215

To answer your question about whether any nicotine-containing product is caught in this provision, the text specifically exempts pipe tobacco (and cigars, etc.) even though they contain nicotine:
View attachment 107216

If you need a summary, here's an article by Seek Alpha, which is a reputable company for business information. This article is behind a paywall so here's a screenshot.
View attachment 107214

I would suggest to anyone wanting to post regarding legislation to cite to primary sources or at least reputable sources that include citations to primary sources.
Nice work. Accuracy counts.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL

View attachment 107215

View attachment 107216

View attachment 107214

Thanks for clearing this up, glad to finally have a source for keeping up to date

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks for the clarification. Good to know that pipe tobacco is off the tax chopping block for now.

The original article we all posted is from a reputable source, a think tank that’s been around for decades. The article actually is correct. We (myself included) all just failed to distinguish between the tobacco tax provisions in the original draft, and the nicotine tax only (vaping) version in the current draft. The article also wasn’t as clear about that distinction as the article you posted above.

Even so, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect forum members to abstain from discussion about new legislation unless we cite the primary source, i.e. the text of the proposed legislation itself. That’s a higher standard than senators and congressmen are held to, who regularly vote on new legislation without personally reading every word of the text. Forums are inherently casual. These posts aren’t PhD dissertations.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the clarification. Good to know that pipe tobacco is off the tax chopping block for now.

The original article we all posted is from a reputable source, a think tank that’s been around for decades. The article actually is correct. We (myself included) all just failed to distinguish between the tobacco tax provisions in the original draft, and the nicotine tax only (vaping) version in the current draft. The article also wasn’t as clear about that distinction as the article you posted above.

Even so, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect forum members to abstain from discussion about new legislation unless we cite the primary source, i.e. the text of the proposed legislation itself. That’s a higher standard than senators and congressmen are held to, who regularly vote on new legislation without personally reading every word of the text. Forums are inherently casual. These posts aren’t PhD dissertations.
"primary sources or at least reputable sources that include citations to primary sources."is a

I respect CEI's work and regularly read FEE's publications (they run in the same circle), but the particular article cited included 0 citations and many generalizations. You've gotta admit that's shoddy and unhelpful journalism. Contrast with Seek Alpha's article, for example.

You're righ that the article is right, but the previous post is still erroneous. Hence wanting to see it closed so that further replies don't surface that conclusion.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest

And I understand forums are a laid-back form of communication but doing a little digging to find a good article is helpful to the community.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I would hope we could do better than our elected representatives on these issues in this forum.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I respect CEI's work and regularly read FEE's publications (they run in the same circle), but the particular article cited included 0 citations and many generalizations. You've gotta admit that's shoddy and unhelpful journalism. Contrast with Seek Alpha's article, for example.
I think both the headline and article are misleading. I doubt it was unintentional. An accurate article would have pointed out that the new proposed legislation targets vaping and expressly exempts other tobacco products. The article does not mention vaping at all and clearly does not have accuracy in mind. Very bad. I would not buy a used car from the authors.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

View attachment 107215

View attachment 107216

View attachment 107214

Great work - facts matter!

Reactions: Briar Lee