PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Because they can.
I guess I just find it odd that anybody gives a crap about Dunhill pipes. For some reason they have never interested me whatsoever. No problem ... "because they can" and "to each their own" works for me. I do appreciate that fact that most people on planet earth would rather do their own thing than show up my favorite fishing holes.

Aug 1, 2012
I guess I just find it odd that anybody gives a crap about Dunhill pipes. For some reason they have never interested me whatsoever. No problem ... "because they can" and "to each their own" works for me. I do appreciate that fact that most people on planet earth would rather do their own thing than show up my favorite fishing holes.
And why would anyone pay over a quarter million for an old Ford? Especially when I could have gotten the same car for $15,000 25 years ago. No need to understand why, it's what is happening now.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I took a look at the bid history because I always find it interesting, and informative. The price on this pipe jumped alsmot a grand in the in the last 4 seconds of the auction. The "winning" bidder had set a high maximum bid to make sure that he won the pipe. After all, it's an LB, an iconic Dunhill shape with a huge following, with a good blast, from a good period for the brand, and it's unsmoked.

A sniper came in with 4 seconds to go, dive bombing from the upper stratosphere on the assumption that he would win, and collided with the winning bidder's hidden maximum.

Hopefully the winner is happy with the price he paid. Neither of the two final combatants have a history of bid retractions, so they're legit. Assuming that the winner is going to smoke the pipe, that first bowl will be an expensive one, since the value on the pipe will drop by half.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I took a look at the bid history because I always find it interesting, and informative. The price on this pipe jumped alsmot a grand in the in the last 4 seconds of the auction. The "winning" bidder had set a high maximum bid to make sure that he won the pipe. After all, it's an LB, an iconic Dunhill shape with a huge following, with a good blast, from a good period for the brand, and it's unsmoked.

A sniper came in with 4 seconds to go, dive bombing from the upper stratosphere on the assumption that he would win, and collided with the winning bidder's hidden maximum.

Hopefully the winner is happy with the price he paid. Neither of the two final combatants have a history of bid retractions, so they're legit. Assuming that the winner is going to smoke the pipe, that first bowl will be an expensive one, since the value on the pipe will drop by half.
The winner might just lean back on their couch (with the plastic still on) and smoke a few bowls with a layer of tin foil in the chamber to stop the briar charring before selling it unsmoked again...

• Haha
Reactions: karam and Ahi Ka

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'd love to be in the room when a match meets that bowl (I don't want to envision a lighter getting near it...)
The dark side of my mind says it’ll be cult blood red fired with one of those cigar jet jobs.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
it's an LB, an iconic Dunhill shape with a huge following, with a good blast, from a good period for the brand, and it's unsmoked.

All true, but for that kind of $$$ I’d expect an LC, not an LB. Now if the pipe had been from the 1920s or 1930s I would have been less surprised.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian