PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Future Me Will Thank Today Me
60C0A084-BCA3-4437-97B7-FB14A2231193.jpeg
I don’t know that our fears of a pipe-leaf famine or a 1000 percent increase in cost will ever materialize. — But I do know that future me is going to be very happy that I’ve packed away a little something for a rainy day, whether that day comes or not.
49B6A9BA-AF7E-489A-847F-55DE55E1C0B8.jpeg
My order received moments ago—Momentarily admired, boxed, sealed, labeled and placed into the cellar.
5B47F77E-B652-4C0A-9CAA-78584819A438.jpeg
It’s not hard. Buy Once, Cry Once. —Cellaring a few favorites makes sense for me. I know that prices will never be lower and availability of any blend is uncertain.
No Mylar or Mason Jars for me. Basement is dry and cool. Boxed in darkness to await a happy future reunion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I buy more than I smoke, so though the volume of each shipment is minimal, it does accumulate. I usually don't intend to age my purchases, but in fact I end up doing that. That's a delicious stash you have. That would last last me until my 140th birthday, at which time I'd have to go online and order some more.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah. It’s all gonna spoil. LMFAO. It’ll be in better shape than me when I open it.
Depends on how long you're planning to keep that before opening it. Those bags won't keep the contents from drying out, but you should get some years, though less than a decade, since as it's boxed as well. I've had bagged stuff that was good for a couple of years before it was noticeably drier and needed jarring.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Depends on how long you're planning to keep that before opening it. Those bags won't keep the contents from drying out, but you should get some years, though less than a decade, since as it's boxed as well. I've had bagged stuff that was good for a couple of years before it was noticeably drier and needed jarring.
As long as it doesn’t turn to dust before I do. The race is on…

Aug 1, 2012
A lot of what affects the long-term viability of bagged tobacco like that is environmental. When I lived in Mumbai, you could leave a tin opened for months and it wouldn't dry out significantly and you'd be more likely to grow mold on bagged tobacco than have it dry out. When I lived in Las Vegas, NV, the tobacco in an opened tin would be bone dry in less than a week and the bags would be the same in less than three months.

Another thing that may, or may not, be being considered is the lack of humectant in C&D products compared to OTC blends like Granger.

If it were me, I would seal them in a mylar bag just to be safe. However, it isn't me and the OP will deal with the natural consequences of his actions whether positive or negative.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Did I mention that it’s impossible to dry tobacco in New Jersey? The entire state is one big humidor.

I’ve microwaved baccy until the paper towel was damp and the room smelled of toasted brownies. It was back to full moisture before I could load up.

We sweat in the shower in this state. The Humidity here is a dry rain.

Did I mention that it’s impossible to dry tobacco in New Jersey? The entire state is one big humidor.

I’ve microwaved baccy until the paper towel was damp and the room smelled of toasted brownies. It was back to full moisture before I could load up.

We sweat in the shower in this state. The Humidity here is a dry rain.
But it's not impossible to mold it.

It's a serious investment. What's a few extra bucks to properly preserve it? puffy

Well, that's my thinking anyway. But I can't stand Granger either.... :)

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
But it's not impossible to mold it.

It's a serious investment. What's a few extra bucks to properly preserve it? puffy

Well, that's my thinking anyway. But I can't stand Granger either.... :)
The Granger are stored four 12 ounce sealed cans to a box. Those are fine.

I’ll seal up the bulk. Better safe than sorry.

But I assure you, Sir. Either way, this investment’s going up in smoke. ??

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good decision, Pegasus is one of the best blends out there in my opinion. I purchased a pound a little over a year ago and it made it across the border with no duty. Jarred it up in some smaller jars to sample over the next few years. I will probably get the balls up to do another pound order again in the next few months or so.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The half gallon (64 ounce) Ball Mason Jars will take a full pound (16 ounces) of tobacco. It’s a squeeze and very little air remains. They should seal up and age well.
22834681-71A2-4A99-ABDC-C96484B23F4D.jpeg
If you’ll ☝️ notice, inset — I’d removed a piece of cavendish which caught my eye. It has a white, powdered look to it. Below is a closer look.
5E7FCB59-5F8A-4227-BE73-A4B9440C9A78.jpeg
Question for those of you whom mentioned mold. Is that something that can be problematic over time if not removed?

Thanks, my Elders. @sandollars @kcghost @sablebrush52 @captainsousie —Ye old and wise, cornucopias of tobacco knowledge. — When answering, endeavor not to blow excessive smoke. ??- Grangerous.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
Alternative to jarring you could give it a healthy spraydown of PG or Glycerine, I've heard of OTC blends surviving 40 years in decent condition.

Reactions: JOHN72