PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Been binging MI5 on Britbox. Not exactly an intellectual feast, but quite diverting. Don’t get too fond of any of the main characters as they are as likely to get brutally slaughtered as any extra. Definitely British.
Watching Squid Game, which is better than I thought it would be. Koreans seem to be fond of massive exsanguination.
But it’s nothing compared to the unbridled brutality of the Great British Baking Show.

Ha… can’t wait. Past seasons were a hard 5/5 ? ?

Is it me? It has to be just me. Does anyone else think that Larry David's humor is just mean, or nerve wrecking? Maybe I'm just not expressing this right. I tried so much to like this, because I was a huge fan of Seinfeld. But, after watching this one a bunch, I realized why I hated George Costanza SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! Larry David must have just written the Costanza parts, which would make sense. At least in Seinfeld, the asshole balanced out the group like yin yang. But, on Curb Your Enthusiasm... there is no balance... just pure yang, yanging out there.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Is it me? It has to be just me. Does anyone else think that Larry David's humor is just mean, or nerve wrecking? Maybe I'm just not expressing this right. I tried so much to like this, because I was a huge fan of Seinfeld. But, after watching this one a bunch, I realized why I hated George Costanza SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! Larry David must have just written the Costanza parts, which would make sense. At least in Seinfeld, the asshole balanced out the group like yin yang. But, on Curb Your Enthusiasm... there is no balance... just pure yang, yanging out there.
Ha… I heard that there are only two people in the world who don’t like it. jpmcwjr was just identified as the other one? I know people who don’t like Seinfeld. I love them both, as well as King of Queens, Married with Children, Cheers… but never liked The Office, Modern Family, or Roseanne… The perception of humor is highly individualistic, and Curb can be cringeworthy at times, but I generally find LD’s oddball antics to be hilarious. Also, the supporting cast takes it to another level. How can you not find Susie Essman to be funny? She is the ultimate ying to LD’s yang.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had a hard time finishing Cry Macho. I'd rate it 2/5.
I had a hard time with the smaltzy Gran Torino. At some point, you just need to retire Clint.

On the other hand, this western, "Old Henry" was one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Someone, the director managed to squeeze a great story into 90 minutes - just like the old days, no 3 hour slog necessary. 5/5, watch this one.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
News of the World. I was reluctant to watch this one as the trailer didn’t interest me, but I’m glad that I took the leap. As feared, it was a yawner at the beginning, but stick with it and it’ll be well worth the time invested at the end. 4/5.

B39BFEE8-30B9-41B2-B05C-E73E8BFE1931.jpeg

Reactions: scloyd

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Nothing new at the moment.

Watching Northern Exposure.

I was working so many hours during the years when the series first aired I missed it, and all other movies and TV.

A pleasant and quirky world nothing like the carp being firehosed out of the box these days.
Now that I’ve watched a few seasons I can rate Northern Exposure, 4.5/5
This is in light of the fact it was a major network show. They manage to get it right once in a while.

You’ve gotta like a show that has a dream sequence with Carl Jung driving a semi.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"Hell On Wheels". Amazon Prime.
I used to catch snippets of this back in the days of regular t.v. but, its schedule and mine never seemed to gee-haw. Now that i've streamed it, I can say that some of it is impossible, most of it is improbable but, when a good shoot-em-up is the order of the day, all of it is just what the doctor ordered.

Big plus for hardly any "shakey-cam".

4.5/5

We just finished watching Click Bait. Normally, I don't care for mysteries suspense stuff like this, but this one was really damn well done... and it makes you really think about how many people out there are doing this. Well... I can't exactly say what they were doing, because of all of the sissies who don't like spoilers. But, if you want a mystery that takes Occam's razor and throws it out the damned window at 100 mph... and leads to empathic binge watching... this has yopur name written all over it. Totally enjoyed it, even though there was no sex, and very little real violence. I'd have liked it a tad better if it had sex and a lot more violence, but... 5/5 anyways. You will thank me.
Clickbait - Rotten Tomatoes

Reactions: scloyd

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I just watched Skin, which is streaming on Showtime. It’s about a white supremacist struggling with his beliefs, and it’s based on a true story. It’s similar to the movie American History X. I’d give it 3’ish/5 and American History X a 4/5.

C4A38A2D-5E69-495E-B934-CA2C816208BD.jpeg
8BA6898C-3205-431D-B5F8-DF424F53B10E.jpeg

Jun 9, 2018
England
Anyone see this video? That escalated quickly?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.