High Grade Peterson vs Savinelli Punto Oro vs ???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Yet another question, I've got my eye on a Punto Oro 6mm filter pipe, but in my limited experience I do not like using filters. As it has been years since I owned a filter pipe, is it fine to use an adapter instead? Do they smoke the same as a non-filter pipe when using an adapter?

EDIT: did my own research on this. Sounds like it's fine either way. Possibly harder to clean and/or pass a pipe cleaner sometimes.

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I get an estate pipe. You can check ebay from pipestud, or greatestates, or treasurepipes. They always have some artisan beauties that were originally $400 that sell for $200 or less. Usually are of a much higher quality than a pete or sav.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA

Haha you are DAMN good. That is the exact shape I was eyeing, although not that finish. But yes, that's the Pete I would get, truth be told.

It's basically between one of those Pete 408 Spigots, or a Savinelli Punto Oro Gold Sandblast of a different shape. I'm just trying to decide between two Savs--one is filtered, one isn't. It probably makes little difference as far as filter, but the two shapes are slightly different.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Haha you are DAMN good. That is the exact shape I was eyeing, although not that finish. But yes, that's the Pete I would get, truth be told.

It's basically between one of those Pete 408 Spigots, or a Savinelli Punto Oro Gold Sandblast of a different shape. I'm just trying to decide between two Savs--one is filtered, one isn't. It probably makes little difference as far as filter, but the two shapes are slightly different.
I have the Derry Rustic 408. It’s a pleasurable smoking/handling shape for me.
Peterson says they borrow the apple, author, and prince shape.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Can I ask why? Do they smoke better in your experience? Or you prefer the looks?
I think Savinelli’s suck. I just don’t like them.

But I have Peterson’s ranging from 1898 to present.

I love the shapes, I’ve never had a bad drilling. But I don’t freak out over stuff.

Their spigots are drop dead gorgeous!! Excellent smokers too.

Yes, Peterson had some problems a while back, no worries, buy new or old.

The current run of new pipes are really good, as a matter of fact I just got back from three day trip and only smoked my Pete’s.

One thing of note. I only like their PLips the fishtails are fine, but I love PLips.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Before you buy a pipe you should try to come up with a criteria that fits your smoking style and the different types of blends you enjoy

I buy all my pipes based on how well it will smoke my flakes, plugs and rope. I buy group 4-5 sized pipes for all of my favorite blends. The following measurements are what I am looking for and I don't buy pipes that don't fit my criteria. It took me years before I had a clue.
Bowl height 2.0 "
bowl depth 1.5"
Inside bowl width .75-.82
Weight around 40-55 grams

These measurements are a guide and can be used for many blends.

Do you want a bent pipe and if so how much bend.
Sandblasted, smooth, or rusticated. I prefer a great sandblast over smooths as I had my fun with smooths and realized you cannot smoke grain.

Names of mfg or maybe even a newer artisan maker. Acrylic stems or Ebonite? Shape of bowl, do you like the classics or do you like free hands that don't look like pipes? A filtered pipe can be smoked without a filter or adaptor and they smoke fine. I personally would never own a pipe that had a stinger.

I would search handmade Winslow pipes. His hand made pipes go from grade E-A. His cheaper line are supposed to be very good pipes. I have owned a number of Winslows in the past and they are great smokers if you can deal with acrylic .
I would look for estate Castello's and estate artisan pipes from only certain people.

Briar Blues
Marty Pulvers
MKE-LAW
Smokingpipes

These are the estate dealers I have used in the past. Do your homework and please don't buy a Peterson that is the worst choice of all. Good luck.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Before you buy a pipe you should try to come up with a criteria that fits your smoking style and the different types of blends you enjoy

Do you want a bent pipe and if so how much bend.
Sandblasted, smooth, or rusticated. I prefer a great sandblast over smooths as I had my fun with smooths and realized you cannot smoke grain.

Names of mfg or maybe even a newer artisan maker. Acrylic stems or Ebonite? Shape of bowl, do you like the classics or do you like free hands that don't look like pipes? A filtered pipe can be smoked without a filter or adaptor and they smoke fine. I personally would never own a pipe that had a stinger.

Wise words. Thanks for taking the time.

And yes, I absolutely agree, and have taken the time to think about what type of pipe suits my smoking needs. I just didn't want to go into those details, partly because I worry about revealing my targets. I worry it might inspire another viewer to start shopping for the same thing.

But yes I've carefully considered what types of pipes I already own, and what I'm lacking (as it relates to the blends and styles of tobaccos I smoke). This involves not only chamber and pipe dimensions, shape, finish, weight, stem material, etc etc. Using the arrived upon criteria, I weighed that against a short list of pipes I've been pining for.

Essentially, since I started smoking pipes I have collected value pipes ($40-$100 or so). I'm now in a place where I'd like to whittle my pipe collection down to just a handful of nicer pipes, so I'm selling and trading in the more basic models (particularly the ones that no longer suit my needs).

Reactions: Streeper541

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It sounds like you have a plan now just have to execute. I recently did a big culling and have moved in 12 commissioned pipes. I have around 35 pipes as I moved out anything that I wasn't smoking much. Most of what I have left are all commissions from Rad Davis and Jack Howell. I also kept a spattering of a few other American artisans . I smoke 4-5 bowls a day and 35 odd pipes is plenty of a rotation. I also have space for more pipes to buy if something really catches my eye.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
It sounds like you have a plan now just have to execute. I recently did a big culling and have moved in 12 commissioned pipes. I have around 35 pipes as I moved out anything that I wasn't smoking much. Most of what I have left are all commissions from Rad Davis and Jack Howell. I also kept a spattering of a few other American artisans . I smoke 4-5 bowls a day and 35 odd pipes is plenty of a rotation. I also have space for more pipes to buy if something really catches my eye.
I would LOVE a Rad Davis "radesian". Also dig those Castello old sea rock pipes that are half charred looking. But either of those would be a good bit more than $200 in most scenarios, and I just dropped $400 on a custom Tinsky so can't justify getting another "masterpiece" type pipe at the moment.

I only smoke 1-2 bowls a day, sometimes zero, so my stable is rightfully small.

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chances are that Rad sandblasted your Tinsky pipe, if it is a blast. He has been doing Tinsky's blast work for years even though he retired.

That Castello comes brand new looking that way. It is a certain style they have used for years making a new pipe look all shitty like that. I am not a fan of that style.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I only have Italian-made Stanwells, and by my lights they are good pipes, open draw, solidly crafted.

You can suit yourself with Savinelli about using either no filter or adaptor, or the adaptor if you like a little more focussed draw. Either one works well in all their pipes I've smoked, which is a few. FYI, Savinelli makes some series without filters, and some of their Rossi line have no filters. I like their Oscar Lucite series for that reason, but also for the bright stain and light colored stem.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Radice is a good shout - Ardor seems to be a bit more expensive in the US but I'll throw their name in the hat too.

Blue Room Briars haven't been mentioned yet & they're well worth a look - both new & estate.

I'd also highly recommend looking up Bruno Nuttens, he does pipes in that range & the one of his I have is an absolutely top notch pipe.

Ah - new post while I was typing & you've chosen! I hope it smokes great!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Time and time again I've seen Punto Oros with subpar stem work and funny drilling.

I was never an advocate of Peterson but I just got a Walnut Spigot that has left me surprisingly impressed both by its fit/finish and it's smoking performance. I find it to be a great value in the $180 range.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Punto Oro, any day over a Pete.
You can occasionally get new or as new Ser Jacopo or Radice around 100$ on the ebay. Stanwell is another fantastic option.
Petersons belong in a basket for 40$ at a B&M, not 100 to 300$ online, the quality just isn't there anymore.

If you are set on a spigot, have a look at the Rattray's Bare Knuckle series.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’d echo what ‘embers posted earlier about being patient and perusing the estate market. Savinelli makes a great-smoking pipe, but I’ve seen a lot of Puntos Oros of late whose grain doesn’t match the price tag in my opinion. Seems like the older ones were held to a higher standard before putting that gold dot on them. Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but it seems like a trend to me. ?‍♂️ That said, I love my Savs.

Reactions: jewman22