PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello from Austin.

The Savinelli line has the regular, KS (king size?) and EX (bigger than king size) designation on their pipes, so that might make shopping online a bit easier.

I'd say smoke what you enjoy and to heck with what others might think. I smoke large and small pipes, based on the tobacco selection and my mood.

Once you fill an EX full of a nic bomb and get nauseous from it, you'll appreciate those smaller bowls a bit more.

Easy to hold is a separate matter. You can always find larger pipes to enjoy. You don't have to fill them all the way up. Some have a massive piece of briar with a smaller than expected chamber bore, giving you some flexibility in outfitting yourself.

Sites like smokingpipes.com list dimensions on each pipe for your consideration.

What tobaccos have you been enjoying?

Welcome to the forum!

1633559599088.jpeg

Jun 25, 2021
England
Hello and welcome from London.
There are plenty of big chunky pipes out there, but with a group 4 size chamber say.
Northern Briars comes to mind, beautiful pipes that smoke really well, and the price is quite reasonable too.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Thank you for having me! Looking to get back into smoking a pipe after decades away from it. I am a large man and would like a recommendation on a large pipe that will be easy to hold and won’t look like a toy. I’m 6’ 6” and 300 plus pounds. I’ve had my eye on the savanelli Hercules line.
Dang…everything really is bigger in Texas.
Welcome to the forum. Glad you’re here!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the Savinelli Hercules series is a good one. My wife gave me my one and only Oom-Paul in that series, and it smokes well and looks great, and though you may not want an Oom-Paul (and I'm not sure they're currently being sold), the Hercules pipes are good ones.

Reactions: hornedfrog76

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Welcome from West Virginia. Just because you are a big fellow doesn't mean your pipe has to be also. If possible, go to a pipe shop and put the pipe in your hand and see how it feels and if you like the shape. Some pipes are just made for some people. Good luck.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Thank you for having me! Looking to get back into smoking a pipe after decades away from it. I am a large man and would like a recommendation on a large pipe that will be easy to hold and won’t look like a toy. I’m 6’ 6” and 300 plus pounds. I’ve had my eye on the savanelli Hercules line.
Try to pick up something from Boswells.

Also, howdy from Ohio by way of Texas.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Hello and Welcome from New Jersey. Check out some Meerschaum offerings. Those seem to run towards some really large (and quite cool looking) sizes.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Welcome.I am stationed in Texas but currently doing a humanitarian deployment in Indiana. I agree with smoking different sized pipes with differ not blends. But you do what you feel is right for you. You said you are returning to the hobby, so I’m guessing you know the basics of it already though.

One of my favorite people to hang out with at The Briary years ago was a large man... younger than me by far, but very large and wore overalls all the time. And, he liked the smallest little Petie pipes ever. Like little bity toys hanging on his lips. He loved those things. His nose was larger than the pipe. But, he always set next to Herbie who was a local professor, tiny guy, long moustache, and he liked these large Chasingember sized pipes. Every time I'd see them on the couch, I cracked a smile. Young, old, big, small, I always made a joke about them switching pipes.

You like big pipes? Go look at the Ardor Giants. I love the damn things. Smoke so damn good too. If you got the funds, SBang make a damn nice large pipe also.

Welcome and happy October...
welcome83.jpg

hornedfrog76

Lurker
Oct 6, 2021
Aledo, Texas
Wow! I am so impressed by the friendliest welcome messages I have received in a long while on a forum. You all are terrific! I also appreciate the many stellar suggestions that you guys have given me. I am reading through them and doing my due diligence. I used to smoke aromatics sticking with bourbon vanilla, caramel, and cherry variations. That was in my 20’s and I’m now 30 plus years past that! I see so many new flavors and have been reading reviews but haven’t decided on a tobacco yet. Should I buy online or find something local? Anyone in the DFW area have a recommendation? I used to go to Tobacco Lane back in the day but I’m not sure that they’re still around and the cigar shop I frequent only dabbles in pipe tobacco.

Should I buy online or find something local?
Yes, ha ha. Support your local B&M, because it is not 100% certain that online sales are permanent. If you do not support your local B&M, it might not be there when/if online sales are no longer allowed. And, yes, buy online, especially to support the ones that support this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.