Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Hey Amish, Campbells is going strong and planning to also sell tins now. They are keeping the cabinets stocked with pipes too. My daughter is at the U so I stop in whenever I go see her. Welcome!

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Hey Amish, Campbells is going strong and planning to also sell tins now. They are keeping the cabinets stocked with pipes too. My daughter is at the U so I stop in whenever I go see her. Welcome!
Thank you. Good to know. Sounds like you are keeping your thumb on the pulse. Does the same smaller guy with glasses still work there (kinda soft spoken)?

I may be in the Capital Area mid-week and hope to stop by. When in the EL, I typically drive down MAC. I lived there for 3 years.

Reactions: trudger

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Bob Probert was my favorite. We also had Yzerman and Federov. Later came the Russian line, Draper, McCarty, and the like.

However, Gretzky is one of the all time greats (next to Gordie Howe) and had McSorley to protect him.

Hockey in the 80's and 90's was awesome.
Wow, that sure takes me back...Probert was absolutely the King of the Goons back then! Few could stand up to him mano a mano. McSorley gave him a run for his money, though, as did a couple others; Tie Domi and Troy Crowder come to mind. I've wasted HOURS on YouTube just watching old hockey fight footage!

The thing about Gretzky was, as good as he was, he also had the advantage of playing at a time when goaltenders were at their absolute worst. The game has changed so much too. Players are faster, passing is crisper...there's just no room for error anymore, and the goalies are obviously way better. The only thing that has gotten worse is the refereeing, which should come as a surprise to no one. Although I do have several childhood memories of my dad screaming at Dan Marouelli on the TV set. Much better than when he was screaming at me...

Oh yeah, and you also snagged my favorite Kings player, Paul Coffey! Hell of a d-man.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Thank you. Good to know. Sounds like you are keeping your thumb on the pulse. Does the same smaller guy with glasses still work there (kinda soft spoken)?

I may be in the Capital Area mid-week and hope to stop by. When in the EL, I typically drive down MAC. I lived there for 3 years.
Yep, he still works there. I've only been going for a short while, our Sparty is a junior this year, and I'm from Oakland County.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Yep, he still works there. I've only been going for a short while, our Sparty is a junior this year, and I'm from Oakland County.
The guy has worked at the store with the red door for 20 years.

Every time I go through EL, the city becomes harder to recognize. It used to be mom and pop shops. Now it's primarily corporate Americana.

Go Green and Sparty On!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Wow, that sure takes me back...Probert was absolutely the King of the Goons back then! Few could stand up to him mano a mano. McSorley gave him a run for his money, though, as did a couple others; Tie Domi and Troy Crowder come to mind. I've wasted HOURS on YouTube just watching old hockey fight footage!

The thing about Gretzky was, as good as he was, he also had the advantage of playing at a time when goaltenders were at their absolute worst. The game has changed so much too. Players are faster, passing is crisper...there's just no room for error anymore, and the goalies are obviously way better. The only thing that has gotten worse is the refereeing, which should come as a surprise to no one. Although I do have several childhood memories of my dad screaming at Dan Marouelli on the TV set. Much better than when he was screaming at me...

Oh yeah, and you also snagged my favorite Kings player, Paul Coffey! Hell of a d-man.
I get lost down various rabbit holes when watching YouTube or surfing wikipedia. Hockey fights and music are the two biggest holes.

Sometimes I end up in strange places. Like I begin watching the trilogy of Probert versus Domi and end up watching a mini documentary about the Magna Carta or underwater basket weaving.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit

Probert was an unfortunate mess and we all loved him. There is a great documentary movie about him and Tie Domi is in it along with some others.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Probert was an unfortunate mess and we all loved him. There is a great documentary movie about him and Tie Domi is in it along with some others.
It's a great documentary.

Probert's ashes are scattered in the penalty box at Joe Louis Arena and Little Caesars Arena (which should be named after Gordie Howe in my opinion).

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Alabama State Capitol building looking better than I remember it.

It was suggested I introduce myself, so greetings from Metro-Detroit.

A favorite pastime in college was sitting on our front porch with some music and adult beverages while watching the bar crowd and other students wander down sorority row.

A fraternity brother (yes, I bought my friends) and I decided to porch it while playing chess and smoking pipes. Campbell's Smoke Shop was just down the street, so we picked up some basket pipes and house-blended tobacco and my journey began.

After living in Lansing for about 18 years, I returned back to Metro-Detroit and (hopefully) found my forever home. Although pipe smoking fell by the wayside in graduate school, I recently picked it up again and am trying to develop my palate while starting a small cellar.

I used to have more hobbies and interests, but graduate school, my career, and having a daughter put most of my interests on the backburner. The good news is I was able to pay off my student loans in under 10 years while moonlighting as a cook. My mom told me I'd never get paid to play with knives and fire ... I proved her wrong but "retired" from the cooking profession after 20 years with the birth of my daughter.

Currently I get knotted up in my profession, which is more grey-collared than blue or white, and still enjoy cooking for myself or others when possible. After all, there is only about one other thing that you can do using all 5 senses ... and no pants are required.

Typically, I enjoy my weekend mornings with a pipe and bottomless cup of coffee or diet soda while watching the neighborhood wake up.

I used to enjoy reading and infusing my own alcohol (cherry bourbon, apricot brandy, and butterscotch whiskey were favorites), but those are still on the backburner for now.

I was a lurker for a while and began posting a little bit ago. The wealth of information in this virtual thinktank is robust and some of the members are real characters.

Regardless, my nickname since high school was/is the Amish Tyrant (many people only know me as Amish) and I run on nicotine, caffeine, and hatred (just kidding ... maybe).

Welcome from a former Metro-Detroiter.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
Wow, so many things to say! First off, welcome from Eastern Kentucky. I am however, originally from Metro-Detroit. My grandfather was a long time employee, and retired from the Free Press when they shut down the Detroit plant back in the early 80’s. Oddly enough, a very close family friend was once a photographer for the Detroit Times. That is a blast from the past!

My son was in East Lansing but I never made my way to Campbell’s. I will make it a point to check it out when I return there. I will actually be in Ypsilanti soon, to visit with my daughter at Eastern. I know Ferndale well, I grew up a member of a local church there. I inherited a nice collection of pipes from a very dear man from Ferndale that recently passed and was one of the finest influences I have had in my life.

For the downriver folks, I worked for several years in Taylor. I also lived in Taylor, Southgate, and Trenton. I find myself missing some dear friends there. For the hockey fans, I went to college with Dallas Drake many moons ago and I once met Draper in the Post Bar in Ferndale. He stopped to say hello to my then infant son, who happened to be about the same age as Drapers infant daughter. As memory serves, Osgood joined him shortly after.

To the Michigander’s that chimed in, thanks for bringing back some great memories! A final thought and recommendation for The Amish Tyrant, find your way to Flint if you haven’t already done so, Paul’s Pipe Shop is worth the trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.