PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
It was suggested I introduce myself, so greetings from Metro-Detroit.

A favorite pastime in college was sitting on our front porch with some music and adult beverages while watching the bar crowd and other students wander down sorority row.

A fraternity brother (yes, I bought my friends) and I decided to porch it while playing chess and smoking pipes. Campbell's Smoke Shop was just down the street, so we picked up some basket pipes and house-blended tobacco and my journey began.

After living in Lansing for about 18 years, I returned back to Metro-Detroit and (hopefully) found my forever home. Although pipe smoking fell by the wayside in graduate school, I recently picked it up again and am trying to develop my palate while starting a small cellar.

I used to have more hobbies and interests, but graduate school, my career, and having a daughter put most of my interests on the backburner. The good news is I was able to pay off my student loans in under 10 years while moonlighting as a cook. My mom told me I'd never get paid to play with knives and fire ... I proved her wrong but "retired" from the cooking profession after 20 years with the birth of my daughter.

Currently I get knotted up in my profession, which is more grey-collared than blue or white, and still enjoy cooking for myself or others when possible. After all, there is only about one other thing that you can do using all 5 senses ... and no pants are required.

Typically, I enjoy my weekend mornings with a pipe and bottomless cup of coffee or diet soda while watching the neighborhood wake up.

I used to enjoy reading and infusing my own alcohol (cherry bourbon, apricot brandy, and butterscotch whiskey were favorites), but those are still on the backburner for now.

I was a lurker for a while and began posting a little bit ago. The wealth of information in this virtual thinktank is robust and some of the members are real characters.

Regardless, my nickname since high school was/is the Amish Tyrant (many people only know me as Amish) and I run on nicotine, caffeine, and hatred (just kidding ... maybe).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. My wife was a newspaper intern at The Detroit Free Press during the 1967 riots, and thereby partook of their Pulitzer Prize for reporting it. She had a long career in journalism in the NYC and Long Island area. A friend graduated from Michigan State in Lansing in metallurgy.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Never been in your neck of the woods...the only thing Detroit brings to my mind is from my childhood, when the Red Wings would come to town and destroy my LA Kings just about every time. And that's just in LA...as for stealing a game at Joe Louis Arena, forget about it!

Enjoy the journey!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Welcome! How did you find the tobaccos offered at the red door? I’ve had friends mention how great Deacon Ron is (I think that’s what it’s called).
The younger gentleman running the shop didn't seem to interested in pipe tobacco.

They had about 20 blends and I enjoyed Old Onyx, which tastes like a fall evening (and not like the maple in Autumn Evening). I also tried an anniversary blend and cherries jubilee, which were just okay.

Campbell's website is campbellssmokeshop.com (I'm unsure how to link it). If I go back to the Lansing area, I intend to stop by and get 2 ounces of their offerings.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Never been in your neck of the woods...the only thing Detroit brings to my mind is from my childhood, when the Red Wings would come to town and destroy my LA Kings just about every time. And that's just in LA...as for stealing a game at Joe Louis Arena, forget about it!

Enjoy the journey!
Bob Probert was my favorite. We also had Yzerman and Federov. Later came the Russian line, Draper, McCarty, and the like.

However, Gretzky is one of the all time greats (next to Gordie Howe) and had McSorley to protect him.

Hockey in the 80's and 90's was awesome.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. My wife was a newspaper intern at The Detroit Free Press during the 1967 riots, and thereby partook of their Pulitzer Prize for reporting it. She had a long career in journalism in the NYC and Long Island area. A friend graduated from Michigan State in Lansing in metallurgy.
The Detroit News and Freep were national contenders for years. Mitch Albom is still a favorite writer (both for sports, like the Fab Five, and soul searching, like Tuesdays with Morrie).

I remember the newspaper strike in the 90's and they never recovered (albeit newspapers are basically obsolete today).

Status
Not open for further replies.