PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Hey everyone and hello from Southeastern PA. My name is Mike and I've been enjoying the hobby since October of 2018.

Mine was not your typical introduction to pipe smoking. I had tried it years ago when I was 18 or 19. I bought a drug store Dr. Grabow pipe along with a pouch of Paladin tobacco...I had NO clue what I was doing and I used to smoke 1/2 bowls from my bedroom window hoping my parents wouldn't catch me. Fun times! Well, it didn't last long and I think I ended up throwing the pipe and tobacco out (I hate myself now for doing so).

Fast forward to 2018 and I suddenly got an itch to smoke a pipe again..ZERO clue why. I was never a smoker of any kind...sure I smoked cigars on occasion, but that was about it. Anyway, I decided to do a little research on it this time and I ended up watching a boatload of videos on youtube, most of them from Muttonchop Piper. After that, I hopped on P&C and bought a corn cob along with 2 ozs of Lane 1Q and a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced and the rest is history. Now I clearly suffer from PAD and TAD...damn youtube!

All kidding aside, I enjoy it so much more now that I know what I am doing, plus it's great sitting out back on my patio and relaxing with a coffee (in the morning) or a beer/bourbon (at night) with a pipe.

As for my palate, I started off heavily with aromatics, but that has dropped off and have since become a lover of English blends.

Fav Aromatics: BCA, Sleepy Hollow, Eileen's Dream, 1Q
Fav Non-Aromatics: SPC Plum Pudding SR, C&D Pirate Kake, GLP Spark Plug, GLP Quiet Nights, Escudo, PS Luxury Twist Flake

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Very similar story to mine. Chris has helped many of us on here get started with his valuable information, which is only lacking in how to cope with PAD/TAD. No one knows how the hell to deal with either, so you're among good frustrated company here. Luckily, I only suffer from the latter; it's the cheaper of the two disorders, though good luck conveying this fact to my wife... ?

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your journey! Still got some distant family back in Pittsburgh myself.

Reactions: Tar Wheel
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Very similar story to mine. Chris has helped many of us on here get started with his valuable information, which is only lacking in how to cope with PAD/TAD. No one knows how the hell to deal with either, so you're among good frustrated company here. Luckily, I only suffer from the latter; it's the cheaper of the two disorders, though good luck conveying this fact to my wife... ?

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your journey! Still got some distant family back in Pittsburgh myself.
Thanks man...Chris is a great guy and I am glad he's back doing videos. I wish he'd fire up Blend Club again.

Anyway, glad to be here. I'm not much for doing videos or presenting myself...so forums are much more my speed.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Welcome from the New Jersey Shore!

Great to see a revival of pipe smoking! We’re all looking for something to enjoy. Copenhagen was almost an Army institution in the early 80’s. — likely still is today. But, like you, without a clue I picked up a pipe and a pouch of Half n Half that another soldier smoked. I was just going through the motions.

Later, whatever smelled interesting to me from the tobacconist’s shop jars. I remember “hazelnut”. No flavor, but smelled nice in the field. I never could really “taste” anything.

But I’m glad I stuck with it. Over time you’ll really find something that agrees with you and it’s one of life’s great simple pleasures.

Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Hey everyone and hello from Southeastern PA. My name is Mike and I've been enjoying the hobby since October of 2018.

Mine was not your typical introduction to pipe smoking. I had tried it years ago when I was 18 or 19. I bought a drug store Dr. Grabow pipe along with a pouch of Paladin tobacco...I had NO clue what I was doing and I used to smoke 1/2 bowls from my bedroom window hoping my parents wouldn't catch me. Fun times! Well, it didn't last long and I think I ended up throwing the pipe and tobacco out (I hate myself now for doing so).

Fast forward to 2018 and I suddenly got an itch to smoke a pipe again..ZERO clue why. I was never a smoker of any kind...sure I smoked cigars on occasion, but that was about it. Anyway, I decided to do a little research on it this time and I ended up watching a boatload of videos on youtube, most of them from Muttonchop Piper. After that, I hopped on P&C and bought a corn cob along with 2 ozs of Lane 1Q and a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced and the rest is history. Now I clearly suffer from PAD and TAD...damn youtube!

All kidding aside, I enjoy it so much more now that I know what I am doing, plus it's great sitting out back on my patio and relaxing with a coffee (in the morning) or a beer/bourbon (at night) with a pipe.

As for my palate, I started off heavily with aromatics, but that has dropped off and have since become a lover of English blends.

Fav Aromatics: BCA, Sleepy Hollow, Eileen's Dream, 1Q
Fav Non-Aromatics: SPC Plum Pudding SR, C&D Pirate Kake, GLP Spark Plug, GLP Quiet Nights, Escudo, PS Luxury Twist Flake
Welcome, Mike.

I do think that you will enjoy your visit, here. You will certainly be learning quite a bit about pipes, and tobaccos, and contributing to your PAD/TAD.

Reactions: PA Piper Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.