PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skink

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
Happy Fall Y’All from Long Island! I started smoking pipes about a year and a half ago coming over from cigars for 25 years. When Covid first hit, I opted to stay home as the pandemic grew. I knew I’d be smoking more then my 2 weekly cigars while around the house, so I looked into less costly options. I ordered a “Starter Pipe Kit” online and picked up a pouch of Captain Black from the local B&M (being that’s what my Grandfather smoked). When the pipe arrived, I packed it and headed out on the deck expecting a nice relaxing hour. Well that relaxing hour slowly turned into a stressful, anxiety filled 2+ hours of not getting the hang of it. Couldn’t keep it lit, was hurting my jaw from over-clenching and burning my finger from the lighter. “This is relaxing? I’m definitely doing something wrong.” The next morning while having my coffee, I did a search on “How to smoke a pipe”, I’ve been Ghosting you guy’s ever since. Thanks for all of the advice! Now I can twist & stuff a flake and enjoy it with minimal relights. For some reason, it never even dawned on me to join the forum until the other day.

Since it was a suggested introduction topic, I’ve been gravitating towards the Virginia and Vaper flakes in either a Poker or a Dublin.

Thanks for having me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Skink, welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I'm glad you found Forums to help you through your pipe smoking learning curve. It's so simple on the one hand, with so many fine points. Filters, pipe finishes, pipe brands, tobacco genres. It's bewildering, on the one hand,, and part of the pleasure once you get into it.

Reactions: weezell

Skink

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
Skink, welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I'm glad you found Forums to help you through your pipe smoking learning curve. It's so simple on the one hand, with so many fine points. Filters, pipe finishes, pipe brands, tobacco genres. It's bewildering, on the one hand,, and part of the pleasure once you get into it.
MSO, both you and CosmicFolkLore helped a lot. The two of you have dropped a very long trail of pipe smoking knowledge breadcrumbs over the years. I thank you both for that. Idk why I leaned towards the two of you as "guides" in this, it might just be the way the two of you write, along with when one breadcrumb proved true, the next might be valuable as well. As for all of the choices in pipes and tobaccos, isn't that what the stimulus checks are for?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

1633233680467.png

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Status
Not open for further replies.