Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Nice review?. I have a single brick of this in my cellar as it isn't available in the UK. Reading the review made me salivate? and I'm really looking forward to trying it in the future. I've got way too many tins open at the minute so I'm trying to run them down a bit so I've got about 30 blends in the rotation.

I remember reading about this tobacco and people saying how dry it is but apparently that's how it's meant to be smoked. I mylar bagged my single block as soon as I got it. I love a good burley blend and there's something about the burley in Gawith tobaccos that I really like.
I'm sure the Reserve du Patron will be right up my street.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a solid proponent of Tabac-Manil Semois. I mostly get the medium or thick cut. Both very dry, so you get a lot of tobacco for weight. It burns fast so I favor a fairly narrow bowl such as a MM freehand, which slows the burn a little. It's a burley variant, but unique among burleys. When I read the NYTimes article about it, I figured I'd never find a sample, until a Forums member sent me one. When I raved about it, another member sent me his mostly unused foil wrapped package of it, saying he'd gotten sick on the stuff. He also included a large tin of Frog Morton Cellar, unopened. And he asked me how I liked the pipe ... which I'd missed in the packing paper. A sublime Frendown Reo by Les Wood, a bent billiard. So my association with Semois is very good indeed.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm a solid proponent of Tabac-Manil Semois. I mostly get the medium or thick cut. Both very dry, so you get a lot of tobacco for weight. It burns fast so I favor a fairly narrow bowl such as a MM freehand, which slows the burn a little. It's a burley variant, but unique among burleys. When I read the NYTimes article about it, I figured I'd never find a sample, until a Forums member sent me one. When I raved about it, another member sent me his mostly unused foil wrapped package of it, saying he'd gotten sick on the stuff. He also included a large tin of Frog Morton Cellar, unopened. And he asked me how I liked the pipe ... which I'd missed in the packing paper. A sublime Frendown Reo by Les Wood, a bent billiard. So my association with Semois is very good indeed.
I've got one bowl left of it and I have been enjoying it pretty much daily lately.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I am very much in the minority as I do not enjoy Tabac-Manil Semois tobaccos. I have smoked complete bricks of all three blends and just can’t get it to work for me. It leaves me with a very earthy, wet mushroom flavor that I do not enjoy. I quite enjoy mushrooms too. My regular pipe smoking buddy loves it and often tells me I’m crazy for disliking it. Fellas, you don’t have to worry about me buying this stuff up at it’s next release.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am very much in the minority as I do not enjoy Tabac-Manil Semois tobaccos. I have smoked complete bricks of all three blends and just can’t get it to work for me. It leaves me with a very earthy, wet mushroom flavor that I do not enjoy. I quite enjoy mushrooms too. My regular pipe smoking buddy loves it and often tells me I’m crazy for disliking it. Fellas, you don’t have to worry about me buying this stuff up at it’s next release.
I don't think it's crazy at all. I love the stuff but it actually surprises me that I am not in a minority on that front. Seriously it's not one I smoke and think who wouldn't love this. That said you must be doing something wrong ;)

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
Nice review?. I have a single brick of this in my cellar as it isn't available in the UK. Reading the review made me salivate? and I'm really looking forward to trying it in the future. I've got way too many tins open at the minute so I'm trying to run them down a bit so I've got about 30 blends in the rotation.

I remember reading about this tobacco and people saying how dry it is but apparently that's how it's meant to be smoked. I mylar bagged my single block as soon as I got it. I love a good burley blend and there's something about the burley in Gawith tobaccos that I really like.
I'm sure the Reserve du Patron will be right up my street.
I have some in the cellar....but I have a block open in a jar.....I can send you a few bowls if you want to try it without opening your block.
I have to be in the mood for it.....but it is fantastic if I don't over puff.......never smoked anything like it ......and I am a Burley kind of guy

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have some in the cellar....but I have a block open in a jar.....I can send you a few bowls if you to try it without opening your block.
I have to be in the mood for it.....but it is fantastic if I don't over puff.......never smoked anything like it ......and I am a Burley kind of guy
Thanks for the offer mate but I'm ok at the minute. I've got about 50 jars in my rotation which is far too much for my smoking needs. I'm trying to gradually get it down to 25-30.
I appreciate the offer tho.

Reactions: northernpipeshed