SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

C&D Poplar Camp has the most perique I have ever smoked in a blend, that I know of.

You could also try buying some blending perique and trying that. There is very little nicotine in perique. According to Mark Ryan the nicotine molecule is converted into more complex molecules. There is very little nicotine in it, but it multiplies the absorption of the leaf that it is blended with. It smokes ok by itself, but is very monochromatic and boring. But, it doesn't kick ass as it is rumored to.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I suggest buying some blending perique, it comes tinned or in bulk. Then begin to add increasing percentages to a burley or straight Virginia you’re familiar with until you taste the perique note coming through.
By adding it to a blend you are familiar with you may be better able to calibrate the flavor of perique.
I love perique and always keep some handy to use as a condiment tobacco to occasionally spice up a familiar blend.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
So what you want to do is take some perique and soak it in some dark rum for a few days, let it dry and smoke it in a cob. If that’s to much of a science project for you, grab a tin of C&D Exclusive or GLP Haddo’s Delight.

Mar 1, 2014
Remember that Virginia-Perique blends are going to change with age and generally become sweeter over time. About six months in a jar should be enough to notice.

Reactions: Kal

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just to double back on an earlier post, it is worth noting C&D also sells mixing Perique (all Perique) which would allow you to try it neat and mix it with other familiar blends to see if or how it harmonizes.

Jun 25, 2021
England
St. James Flake, or better still if you can get hold of it, the plug version.
Dedicate a pipe to it. and after about 10 bowls the bottom third will hit you like a tonne of bricks.
That's flavour ! I've just finished a bowl.

Reactions: JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just get onto TobaccoReviews and do your own research.

Everyone here has their own favourites and preferences. You will just end up with a confusingly long list.

Someone's 5star blend might not be your cup of tea. I've bought a couple of "highly recommended" blends that I couldn't stand. :poop:

Buy sample size bags of various blends to try. Tobacconists like Boswells have samplers of "English blends" and "aromatic blends". When you find one you really like then stock up. But don't forget that tastes can change.

Nothing like forming your own opinion ;)