PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Title says it, but there's more. I've posted on here before about this, but I've lowered my standards a bit. I need a lighter that has an easily adjustable wheel for flame size, an ignition that doesn't get finicky like you're rolling dice clicking the damned thing over and over again and hoping it lights (looking at you, Vertigo Condor), and has a good wide (preferably long, but doesn't have to be) tamper that folds out or pulls out, and that is a FULL CIRCLE, not some kind of half-moon business. It would be nice to have a sight gauge to see how much fuel is left, but it's not a must. I am willing to make some concessions. For instance, I've noticed the Colibri Pacific has a half moon tamper, and I might settle for that. I also prefer the pointing down flame like the Pacific, though I might be open to an Old Boy style lighter.

I just want a lighter that allows me to smoke without juggling a second tamper, and that will reliably light. Any suggestions would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

And if anyone can point me in the direction of an online vendor that has a good assortment of pipe lighters, that would also be appreciated.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Seriously you might try a Nimrod Lighter as they are pretty good. I have often wondered who thought up the name. I mean the marketing section must have had an off day. Maybe their first choice was to call it the 'Retard' or something. Pipe Zippo's are pretty good and some people here like 'Old Boy' lighters which I must confess I have never seen. I tend to go with matches personally but a visit to any average B&M store should give you a bunch to choose. Do not buy one of those 'blow torch' lighters as you will burn out the wall of your pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
IM Corona or Kiribi. I have 2 of each. They're cheaper than any of the other lighters. Whoa, you say, the upfront price is double or more. Yeah, but by the time you buy 2 to 4 of the other lighters after the previous ones crap out, they actually cost more. My IM Corona and Kiribi have been going for 2 years and longer. Good luck in your search.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Seriously you might try a Nimrod Lighter as they are pretty good. I have often wondered who thought up the name. I mean the marketing section must have had an off day. Maybe their first choice was to call it the 'Retard' or something. Pipe Zippo's are pretty good and some people here like 'Old Boy' lighters which I must confess I have never seen. I tend to go with matches personally but a visit to any average B&M store should give you a bunch to choose. Do not buy one of those 'blow torch' lighters as you will burn out the wall of your pipe.
Yep, definitely no torches for the pipes

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
IM Corona or Kiribi. I have 2 of each. They're cheaper than any of the other lighters. Whoa, you say, the upfront price is double or more. Yeah, but by the time you buy 2 to 4 of the other lighters after the previous ones crap out, they actually cost more. My IM Corona and Kiribi have been going for 2 years and longer. Good luck in your search.
Yes I want quality and I'm ready to pay

Reactions: bayareabriar

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I've tried a lot of high end lighters and they really don't offer much more than what's been recommended a million times. A Zippo. I recommend a Zippo of your choice and replace the insert with a butane insert so you don't have to deal with the lighter fluid smell and taste . You'll have a lighter that works in all situations.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I've tried a lot of high end lighters and they really don't offer much more than what's been recommended a million times. A Zippo. I recommend a Zippo of your choice and replace the insert with a butane insert so you don't have to deal with the lighter fluid smell and taste . You'll have a lighter that works in all situations.
I would get one, but there is no fold out tool

Status
Not open for further replies.