PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yes,, but Louisiana was dead on target and the target covered just on state until after landfall which weakened it. Katrina on the other hand included Western Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Eastern Texas in its initial "hit zone". Like I said Katrina was much the larger of the two but Ida was was the more powerful of the two but more localized in its destruction.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Well, color me lucky. This morning we were told to expect power in a week or 10 days. We decided to drive to our son on the other side of Louisiana. As we were getting to Baton Rouge we were notified our power was back on.

No internet, no cable tv, but we have A/C and can sleep in our own bed.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I must smoke the right pipe tobacco...

And, just like that, all our internet, cable tv and land line (I still use a landline at the house) all came back on shortly after 8 am this morning.

I probably won't win the lottery, but I'll take not losing the house or any family members during a major hurricane over money anyway.

Prayers are still needed for everyone living in the harder hit areas. A friend of ours lost her house in Metairie and I think Brad's daughters house has a tree on it in Mandeville. I have a lot of pipe smoking friends that I still haven't heard from in the harder hit areas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pappymac, incredibly good to hear your power is back on! That is amazing. Too often things get worse for a while after a storm, as the damage and troubles are discovered. This is excellent news that some of the electric grid is coming up. I have a friend who lives across the causeway on Lake Ponchatrain, across from NOLA, and I still haven't heard from him. I think they had a four foot surge and a pretty direct hit from the winds. I'm hoping he decamped to kin further from the center. The electric power there may take a while to return.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
pappymac, incredibly good to hear your power is back on! That is amazing. Too often things get worse for a while after a storm, as the damage and troubles are discovered. This is excellent news that some of the electric grid is coming up. I have a friend who lives across the causeway on Lake Ponchatrain, across from NOLA, and I still haven't heard from him. I think they had a four foot surge and a pretty direct hit from the winds. I'm hoping he decamped to kin further from the center. The electric power there may take a while to return.
Even though we had wind gusts well over 80 mph, most of this part of St. Tammany Parish is slowly coming back. I just heard that Entergy has slowly started restoring power in east New Orleans but the New Orleans area going west have a very long road ahead of them. Your friend probably lives in the Mandeville/Covington area and they got hammered with the same wind as New Orleans. It's amazing what being 30 miles further east can mean in a storm like this.

Our power came back on so quickly because it was a relatively easy fix. There is a substation less than five miles from the subdivision and none of the power lines between us were down.