Anyone Test Their Taste Buds to Understand Their Smoking Preferences?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Has anyone used testing strips to better understand smoking preferences with pipes and tobacco?

Background
I was watching a video of America's Test Kitchen and heard them discussing the use of PROP ("Propylthiouracil"?) to determine taste bud sensitivity. I had never heard of this before. Since we often discuss our pipe smoking experiences of taste and enjoyment, this got me thinking . . . .

Also, per this video--the information I recall from many decades ago that different areas of taste buds in the mouth and on the tongue perceive different sorts of tastes (salty, sweet, bitter . . . ). This video has a person suggesting that yes, while there are taste buds in different places in the mouth and on the tongue--that they actually all perceive the same tastes regardless of mouth/tongue, "locale."

What's the truth of this??????
kindly
mike

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think taste is kind of a moving target in terms of research. I don't doubt they have good tests that tell something about the various tastes and how they are perceived by individuals. But once those sensory points are tweaked, I think the mind and memory kick into gear. An acquaintance of mine did a doctoral program in psychology focusing on the sense of taste at Baylor U., and a major precept she mentioned was how individually people experience taste. It's only partly sensory, and then cultural, sociological, and experiential ... many variables.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Never heard of it, but it seems interesting. I feel like my sense of taste isn't as strong as it once was after years of chewing tobacco use and constant sinus issues.
I dip snuff ALOT…… my tastebuds have definitely numbed from it……. It’s a sacrifice I’m willing to take- when I’m working I can’t smoke and the Grizzly fits the bill

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I dip snuff ALOT…… my tastebuds have definitely numbed from it……. It’s a sacrifice I’m willing to take- when I’m working I can’t smoke and the Grizzly fits the bill
I dipped cope or grizzly wintergreen. I liked cope better, but grizzly was always buy one get one. It always felt like griz ripped my mouth up more.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Has anyone used testing strips to better understand smoking preferences with pipes and tobacco?

Background
I was watching a video of America's Test Kitchen and heard them discussing the use of PROP ("Propylthiouracil"?) to determine taste bud sensitivity. I had never heard of this before. Since we often discuss our pipe smoking experiences of taste and enjoyment, this got me thinking . . . .

Also, per this video--the information I recall from many decades ago that different areas of taste buds in the mouth and on the tongue perceive different sorts of tastes (salty, sweet, bitter . . . ). This video has a person suggesting that yes, while there are taste buds in different places in the mouth and on the tongue--that they actually all perceive the same tastes regardless of mouth/tongue, "locale."

kindly
mike
concentrations of different types of taste buds vary from person to person. Some do have certain flavor centers concentrated in one spot, others spread out.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I dipped cope or grizzly wintergreen. I liked cope better, but grizzly was always buy one get one. It always felt like griz ripped my mouth up more.
Chewing tobacco must be an American thing. In my entire 61 years, I've not ever even heard of anyone chewing baccy here in Oz.

Many have said how giving up chewing tobacco was even harder than giving up tailor-made cigarettes.
I'm glad it never took off here, I'd probably like it. :LOL:

The single biggest deterrent though, would be that I can't imagine girls would be terribly pleased to have a tongue that's coated with baccy juices stuck in their mouths. :eek:
As much as I love my tobacco, girls always came first.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

Background

kindly
mike
Wouldn't that not be a bit like going to an art appreciation course to be told that what you find appealing is actually crap and that a painting of a Campbells soup can is in fact brilliant despite what your senses are saying?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
A piece of art either pleases ones eye and/or evokes an emotion, or it doesn't.
I don't really need some 'expert' to tell me what I like.

Same thing with food. And don't even get me started on wine 'experts' who try to convince me that a hearty red should not be paired with a veggie curry.

When I'm trying a new baccy for the first time, if it's not to my liking I pretty much can immediately tell. [Fortunately I like most tobacco and can alter blends to my liking by adding a bit of this or that. Firedance being the only exception. Yuck]
If it's a blend that I really like, I have to restrict myself to one bowl a day, otherwise a pound would be gone too quickly [I'm no longer able to replace or stock up on baccy here at a reasonable price]

That's the ultimate test of ones smoking preferences, by how fast one goes through a pound.
But hey, if you're the type who enjoys art appreciation courses and paying good money to hear some poonce waffling on about his personal preferences of food and wine, then you go for it.
Each to their own and all that. puffy

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Chewing tobacco must be an American thing. In my entire 61 years, I've not ever even heard of anyone chewing baccy here in Oz.

Many have said how giving up chewing tobacco was even harder than giving up tailor-made cigarettes.
I'm glad it never took off here, I'd probably like it. :LOL:

The single biggest deterrent though, would be that I can't imagine girls would be terribly pleased to have a tongue that's coated with baccy juices stuck in their mouths. :eek:
As much as I love my tobacco, girls always came first.
Growing up, I probably knew more people who chewed/dipped compared to any other tobacco. You could do it anywhere…..inside, playing sports, etc. and keep it pretty inconspicuous. I still know plenty of adults who still do it.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
My science is simple. I smoke it, I like how it tastes, I smoke more of it.
Mostly 99.9999% of the time, this is me, too! Once in a great while, usually while drinking, I get a kooky (for me! LOL) thought and this time wanted to share it! But really, M--I opened some tobacco and smelled it recently and it smelled like puke (really!)--I asked by Better Half to check it out to confirm my thoughts and she agreed :))). Then out of curiosity I smoked it and liked it--now I can't remember which one it is!!!! :))

I gotta be the most un-scientific person on the forum--my question above even cracks me up!! LOL
with fun, kindly
mike

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Mostly 99.9999% of the time, this is me, too! Once in a great while, usually while drinking, I get a kooky (for me! LOL) thought and this time wanted to share it! But really, M--I opened some tobacco and smelled it recently and it smelled like puke (really!)--I asked by Better Half to check it out to confirm my thoughts and she agreed :))). Then out of curiosity I smoked it and liked it--now I can't remember which one it is!!!! :))

I gotta be the most un-scientific person on the forum--my question above even cracks me up!! LOL
with fun, kindly
mike
Sounds like my introduction to Latakia. A generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard from 4noggins, I described the bag note as 'Asphalt, burnt rubber and butt'.
Thinking "Do people actually smoke this crap?" I had to give it a try. :LOL:
Thankfully it tasted much better than it smelt.