Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I was just about to pop open this tin, and then I thought I would check the date underneath, it will be 10 years old in May 2022...I know MY palate has NO chance of establishing the difference between a 9.5 year old blend and a 10 year old blend but it seems unnecessarily eager to pop it before May, now that I have checked the date.

I have never tried this blend (although have always rated McClelland oriental blends high in general) and only have the one tin. I wondered what people have to say about it who are familiar?

In the meantime, I will go find something else to pop open.

Isaac.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smyrna is what is flavored to make latakia and is much better without the processing, I love it and Yenidje straight. There should be a Smyrna leaf in that tin, and blended with McClellands Virginias makes it even more amazing.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Smyrna is what is flavored to make latakia and is much better without the processing, I love it and Yenidje straight. There should be a Smyrna leaf in that tin, and blended with McClellands Virginias makes it even more amazing.
Yes, there is a cute little whole leaf in there...about an inch long or so.

I enjoyed the first bowl well enough, although it is not an automatic favourite. I took a bush walk with the kids and the bowl got hotter than it should have. When I stopped to sit and smoke it was a creamier flavour, next bowl will be sitting down.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, there is a cute little whole leaf in there...about an inch long or so.

I enjoyed the first bowl well enough, although it is not an automatic favourite. I took a bush walk with the kids and the bowl got hotter than it should have. When I stopped to sit and smoke it was a creamier flavour, next bowl will be sitting down.
Most of their offerings need to air a bit to fully enjoy them.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Smyrna and Drama were my two favorites of the Grand Oriental line. I usually smoke them in my flake pipes, deep and narrow. Enjoy

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
A couple of bowls smoked today, and I both gave them some breathing room and sat down to smoke. Bowl #2 was nice enough, and bowl #3 was very tasty, maybe more 'spice' than 'sour' than I would usually pick up from oriental blends. The creamy virginia was a good accompaniment.

I will smoke through the rest of the tin (well, maybe I will put a pinch aside for @Ahi Ka ) before I smoke anything else, I find this a good way to appreciate something new...ironic/bittersweet in this case, since I will no doubt never smoke this blend again once the tin is gone.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have been smoking three or so bowls a day and it is a really pleasant blend. I do kind of like that it is a finite experience that ends with this tin, makes for an appreciated smoke.
I tried most of the grand orientals I think, and this is the only one that I did not blend with more virginia.