PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I have searched this forum and the internet, I apologize if this is recurrent. I have been branching out trying all types of tobacco. I would like to know several recommendations. This is pretty broad but here goes. What are the best flavor (not aros) bombs that represent each type of tobacco. Lat, perique, Cavendash (broad I know) Virginia... all others not included. I want to know when I am smoking something that it is the flavor and aroma strong for a particular type. This way I can say, wow I love lat and want more in my mixes. The English types I smoke are hard for me to differentiate oriental from lat. I understand there is a lot of combinations but i want strong representations when you smoke it the forward experience really captures the type of tobacco. Strength and overpowering, not combos welcome. I want a true sense outside of reading about each type so please don't educate but instead give brand examples of what to try. Thanks

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I did do a lot of research happily pipe in mouth and will continue to do so. I read boatloads of reviews multiple times while smoking the tobacco reviewed.
With aros there are bombs that anyone would say for example this is vanilla. I assume this is the case for non aros. One of my favorites right now is C&D Rajah's Court which when researched sounds like a solid balkin blend. Maybe not, that's why I would love to hear suggestions on lat, oriental, perique..bombs. researching talks about flavor, smell, taste (very subjective) but what are the dominant brands that scream I am latkia!!! I can't imagine they don't exist.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cornell & Diehl English blends I like include Stratfordshire, Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Old Joe Krantz original, and Billy Budd with cigar leaf. If you like burley, you might like the Belgium burley variant Semois Tabac-Manil either medium or thick cut; it costs a bit, but it ships so dry, you get more than you think.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Cornell & Diehl English blends I like include Stratfordshire, Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Old Joe Krantz original, and Billy Budd with cigar leaf. If you like burley, you might like the Belgium burley variant Semois Tabac-Manil either medium or thick cut; it costs a bit, but it ships so dry, you get more than you think.
Is Elderly Joe considered an English, though? It's only Bur/Va/Per. Just curious because I saw you mention it in another thread as being an English but didn't know if you meant to call it as such.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I'm going to suggest picking from Peter Stokkebye's offerings. They're pretty affordable for the quality you're getting. Luxury Twist Flake or Luxury Bullseye, Cube Cut, and any English that looks most appealing at the time. If nothing else, it'll give you a good idea of what various blends have to offer and a point of reference for later.

Virginia - HH Pure Virginia IN STOCK SP.COM,

Astleys No 44 OUT OF STOCK,

F&T Cut Virginia Plug, OUT OF STOCK

SG Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake OUT OF STOCK

VaPer - SG St James Flake OUT OF STOCK

VaOr - Sunday Picnic, IN STOCK SP.COM

Ascanian No 1 OUT OF STOCK (GOOD LUCK!)

VaBur - Solani 660 OUT OF STOCK

VaBurOr - Eight States (major flavor bomb) OUT OF STOCK (GOOD LUCK!)

No one can argue with @hoosierpipeguy 's list and since they are top shelf, they are almost always out of stock.

I would add :

VaBur - Solani 656
HH old Dark Fired
G&H Dark Bird's Eye

Straight Burley - Wessex Burley Slice
Tabac Manil (any of the Pure Semois)

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I'll bite! Representative & not too tricky for starting out (& based on the more limited UK selection & general availability).
Virginia - Golden Glow
Burley - Aged Burley Flake
VaBur - Silver Flake
VaPer - Scottish Cake (both sides of Perique in one bowl)
Latakia - White & Black
Orientals - Sam's Flake

Not necessarily my favourites, but all very good.

Reactions: beezer

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
If you really want Latakia forward blend, C&D Pirate Kake.
Pure Virginias, I'm a big fan of Mac Baren No1.
or you could always just buy some blending leaf, that way you can try pure latakia, orientals, virginias..... whatever you wish.