PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Charlie718, are you still there? About using cigar leaf, I certainly don't find it needs much drying out, but I have had it for maybe five years as a condiment. My memory is that it shipped fairly dry. You might want to rub it out a bit, since it comes in longer pieces and might not mix well without breaking that down a little. Mostly, it smokes fine and adds a nice "colorful" flavor. It's not a cigar in a pipe, but its adds good taste.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Looks like Wamba and Gurth could be just inside the wood line :)
@Jacob74 aye very probably mate ? The Cat Trail or Pict Trail isn’t far away from here as is Wallace’s Trench. History oozes out of the very land here. The most fought over border between any countries in Europe.
Thanks for your comment ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Good evening All
A bowl of Revor Plug in a TomPipes Billiard. Looking onto the River Tweed between Boleside and Abbotsford historic home of Sir Walter Scott. Rain not far away and we need it, river is very low.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer View attachment 91294View attachment 91295View attachment 91296
@Ettrick puffer I've been walking in the Peak District today; glad I got home before the rain came!
I went to Bakewell, got a bus to Monsal head (too early for the pub!) and walked back to Bakewell along the disused railway line that once carried express trains between London St. Pancras and Manchester Central, including the upmarket Midland Pullman in the 1960s.
Is it correct that the Borders Railway is in your region?
At present it only runs between Edinburgh and Galashiels but the problem with all cross border transport links (such as upgrading the dual carriageway A74 between Carlisle and the Scottish border and a future reopening of the southern part of the Waverley Route) is both sides need to agree on funding...
Had a pint ? in Matlock but too wet and windy ?️ to light my clay pipe...
I found out I've been filing my clay pipe too loose; I need to tamp the baccy down more and pack it tighter...
Do you think this will give me a memorable smoke when at a re-enactment or out for a country walk???

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An all-in mix -- Amphora Burley, C&D black Cavendish and cigar leaf, and a pinch of Stratfordshire to fill up the bowl, all mixed together and packed, and surprisingly good. I don't like to do too many leavings together, but this seems to work. I'm smoking it in a Mountain Laurel billiard panel by Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
@Ettrick puffer I've been walking in the Peak District today; glad I got home before the rain came!
I went to Bakewell, got a bus to Monsal head (too early for the pub!) and walked back to Bakewell along the disused railway line that once carried express trains between London St. Pancras and Manchester Central, including the upmarket Midland Pullman in the 1960s.
Is it correct that the Borders Railway is in your region?
At present it only runs between Edinburgh and Galashiels but the problem with all cross border transport links (such as upgrading the dual carriageway A74 between Carlisle and the Scottish border and a future reopening of the southern part of the Waverley Route) is both sides need to agree on funding...
Had a pint ? in Matlock but too wet and windy ?️ to light my clay pipe...
I found out I've been filing my clay pipe too loose; I need to tamp the baccy down more and pack it tighter...
Do you think this will give me a memorable smoke when at a re-enactment or out for a country walk???
@halfdan yes the end of the present Borders railway known historically as the Waverley Line lies five miles away. Most mornings I walk my dog along the disused track bed. Locally there is still talk of extending it all the way to Carlisle. Aye it’s all in the packing mate ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan yes the end of the present Borders railway known historically as the Waverley Line lies five miles away. Most mornings I walk my dog along the disused track bed. Locally there is still talk of extending it all the way to Carlisle. Aye it’s all in the packing mate ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
@Ettrick puffer Thanks - I enjoyed today. I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last. I think I packed my clay pipe too loosely and that's why it burned hot and fast even when not speed smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.