Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I quit sugar a while back (medical reasons). So one of the few 'sweet' things I have is the sweetness from tobacco I smoke. I don't really do alcohol often with a pipe tobacco anymore. As the rums (and other alcoholic beverages I enjoy) I like are all pretty high-sugar, so it's a relatively rare treat.

Like others have said, black coffee, loose leaf tea (various kinds, I enjoy Oolongs, Puer, Dancong, Darjeelings etc.) and high roast Yerba Mate I find go very well with a pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite drink with my pipes is Cafe Dumonde coffee. I drink it till 5-6 every day. I then switch to flavored vitamin waters for the remainder of the the day. One of the alcoholic drinks that pairs pretty well with tobacco is Grand Marnier. I rarely drink because of the medications I take. Back in the day I could pound them and keep it together with most people. If you cannot enjoy good coffee or tea with your pipe, you are missing out on a whole world of flavors. If I were you I would give my liver a rest, it sounds like the booze has wrapped it's hand around your throat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This sounds like a cultivated habit. If you enjoy the pipe and alcohol together, it seems like less when you just smoke. I do pretty well with water, usually iced, just to wet my mouth and make the smoke a little denser (or so it seems). Other beverages do pretty well, though some beverages mask or upstage blends. I love tea but can't drink it much because of kidney stones. That's torture. Try smoking a new type of blend without alcohol and see if you can pick up the trail, focus your taste back on the tobacco.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

When I was growing up, after church on a Sunday, I used to see all the old boys smoking pipes and drinking beers/ales in the club next door. I always assumed the two went hand in hand. Not to say I thought there was never any pipe smoking without beers/ales, but I didn't think there were so many people who so studiously avoid doing the two together. For me, I love a cold beer with a bowl, although no aromatics or anything sweet.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The more I think about, the more I realize it doesn't really matter what I drink with a bowl. Some things, alcohol or no, I find to be particularly good, but my beverage choice has never detracted from a smoke.

I've actually never tried wine, red or white, with a bowl. It doesn't seem good to me, so I've never done it. Maybe I'm missing out.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I only start drinking in the late afternoon or evening. It's coffee after breakfast and lunch for me with my early pipes. Try having an after breakfast smoke(unless that means you will start drinking in the morning, then maybe not a good idea haha)

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Title says it all, it seems I can’t enjoy my pipe as much without a beer or a glass of wine or whatever alcoholic drink . I don’t get as much sweetness, flavours seems muted, taste seems stronger and heavier. Only time it’s seems ok is after diner the weekend when I walk the dog but prior to that I usually drink like 4-5 glasses of wine during diner ;). I also usually smoke before diner with a glass of wine but anytime I tried to smoke let’s say after lunch with a glass of water it sucks! Anyone in the same boat? Any non alcoholic drink that pairs well with a bowl? I thought maybe something sweet could help?
Coffee, tea, water, and some sodas are all good non-alcoholic options.

That being said, I highly recommend pairing a good Cognac with a good VaPer.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I like a fruity, tart (not sweet), tea with English blends, Virginia's and Vapr's. However, unsweetened coffee works for any pipe tobacco for me, including aromatics. No alcohol for me, for anything anymore. I needed to give it up.
Don't blame you - it's a thing that can spiral out of control quickly and in certain people it's a ticking timebomb waiting to go off- On a lighter note I agree and think Tea is actually the quintessential match beverage for a pipe - more so than coffee and I adore coffee.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
My favorite drink with my pipes is Cafe Dumonde coffee. I drink it till 5-6 every day. I then switch to flavored vitamin waters for the remainder of the the day. One of the alcoholic drinks that pairs pretty well with tobacco is Grand Marnier. I rarely drink because of the medications I take. Back in the day I could pound them and keep it together with most people. If you cannot enjoy good coffee or tea with your pipe, you are missing out on a whole world of flavors. If I were you I would give my liver a rest, it sounds like the booze has wrapped it's hand around your throat.
I just never tried it with coffee or tea, I really need to give it a try now! Don’t worry for my liver, I usually only smoke and drink on weekends, except now because I have the summer off, the joy of teaching. I usually light a bowl in the late afternoon with a drink and I cannot drink coffee past noon or I won’t sleep but I will explore the pairing with tea and iced tea!

Pete-Sav

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
Arkansas
I quit sugar a while back (medical reasons). So one of the few 'sweet' things I have is the sweetness from tobacco I smoke. I don't really do alcohol often with a pipe tobacco anymore. As the rums (and other alcoholic beverages I enjoy) I like are all pretty high-sugar, so it's a relatively rare treat.

Like others have said, black coffee, loose leaf tea (various kinds, I enjoy Oolongs, Puer, Dancong, Darjeelings etc.) and high roast Yerba Mate I find go very well with a pipe.
Have you tried pure Stevia? Sweet but not sugar. All I have used for 5 years now.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Have you tried pure Stevia? Sweet but not sugar. All I have used for 5 years now.
Thanks for the suggestion - I'd tried some of the stevia drops, but I'm happy with tea/coffee being non-sweet and I found that the stevia has a definite taste. Though, out of all the 'sweeteners' I tried, stevia was the most preferable.

After no sugar for a while (around a month or so) I found my taste buds sort of adjusted and I now find sweetened drinks (coke etc.) far too sweet. Also, I found that I could detect more sweetness in various baccy.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

This afternoon I'm enjoying, really enjoying ? some heavy latakia english with a bottle of bud.
The VA allows living a little. ?
I like your style. A beer and a bowl. I'm right this minute enjoying a cold beer with a Virginia/Perique. Life could be a lot worse :)

Reactions: JOHN72 and Kal