PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Unpopular opinion: there is nothing wrong with male only spaces, hobbies, clubs, or interactions.

Take a woman only space and throw a man in there, and you will see their behaviour change as well. They will start the stereotypical sexual signalling behaviours, just the female versions. Same as you see here when a woman shows up, just we display the male version.

There is a good reason to have both male only and female only spaces, as well as the coed ones.
I worked in a office with 30 some ladies and one other guy. I have to admit I now understand how annoying it can be to be constantly objectified. It's not it happening that's annoying it's the constancy combined with the lack of any real standards (like I know you're only talking to me like that because I am hotter then Josh). Yeah ladies can be as bad as men that's for sure. Though the first few months do give an ego boost.
To me though the thing isn't flirting or anything like that being inherently bad or good. The question is if it's appropriate. It becomes a problem when someone refuses to react or respect a lack of interest or return. More of a continuing to throw it in someones face no matter how coldly they react. That's the funny thing how it can be very nice or very uncomfortable or somewhere in between. Like I've heard guys say it's natural to enjoy looking at a beautiful woman, yeah it is but not to the point where you don't care about how the other person feels including how comfortable they feel. I am not saying I always get it right, but at least I try to respect and respond appropriately. That said I doubt many woman join a site like this with the intention of meeting men any more then the other way around.
Though anyone find it funny that only people identifying as men are commenting on this? :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
One thing I can say for certain, is that the younger generation of younger girls/women, late teens to early twenties, does participate in the online world of computer gaming, in many games that use to be in the past, mainly male dominated, and I mean, Shooter Games, not girly games at all.

I’ve been playing online shooter games for many years, with female gamers 3x younger then me.

So when it comes to the younger generations male and female, they are actually hanging out together online.

I am an extreme PC Gamer, I play Apex Legends daily, amongst other games, and in Discord communities, there are girls everywhere.

Let’s face it, smoking in any form has always had a bad reputation, and it’s not something the newer generations are particularly drawn too either.

Pro Female Gamers too!

one of the few major difference I've seen between men and woman is in gaming. Woman seem to get a lot more aggression and frustration out in how they play. I don't think it's inherently feminine but I do think they're not afforded the same amount of space to express their violent thoughts and feelings.

Reactions: PipeIT
Aug 1, 2012
I worked in a office with 30 some ladies and one other guy. I have to admit I now understand how annoying it can be to be constantly objectified. It's not it happening that's annoying it's the constancy combined with the lack of any real standards (like I know you're only talking to me like that because I am hotter then Josh). Yeah ladies can be as bad as men that's for sure. Though the first few months do give an ego boost.
To me though the thing isn't flirting or anything like that being inherently bad or good. The question is if it's appropriate. It becomes a problem when someone refuses to react or respect a lack of interest or return. More of a continuing to throw it in someones face no matter how coldly they react. That's the funny thing how it can be very nice or very uncomfortable or somewhere in between. Like I've heard guys say it's natural to enjoy looking at a beautiful woman, yeah it is but not to the point where you don't care about how the other person feels including how comfortable they feel. I am not saying I always get it right, but at least I try to respect and respond appropriately. That said I doubt many woman join a site like this with the intention of meeting men any more then the other way around.
Though anyone find it funny that only people identifying as men are commenting on this? :)
I work in a profession dominated by women. Often I am one of only a few males in a building. The part I find humorous is that often I am told by coworkers how male dominated the profession is even though there aren't many of us and we aren't the ones in power.

We all have perceptions, correct or not, that influence how we act and react. When it comes to forums like this, it might be nice to double check what we write and make sure that we are not writing special things due to the gender of the poster. Places like this can be a nice escape from the norm when we can keep our interactions professional.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
I joined this forum because if I have found a positive stereotype about pipe smokers, it's generally that they are thoughtful and think before speaking (usually because we need to tamp and re-light).

Fact of the matter is, a lot of the usernames and avatars are pretty nonspecific and I'm fine with that. Whether you're parking your stem between lipstick or under a mustache (or both!), it's all jake with me.

I do enjoy (as others have observed) that we mostly talk about the bowl and the leaf, and not sportsball, politics, the state of affairs in Upper Kabloopistan or the latest episode of whatever on TV. Hell even the disagreements I've seen here have been civil and good-natured.

And to the womenfolk amongst us, I tip my hat. May your smokes run deep, your relights few and your dottle manageable. *Puff*

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I work in a profession dominated by women. Often I am one of only a few males in a building. The part I find humorous is that often I am told by coworkers how male dominated the profession is even though there aren't many of us and we aren't the ones in power.

We all have perceptions, correct or not, that influence how we act and react. When it comes to forums like this, it might be nice to double check what we write and make sure that we are not writing special things due to the gender of the poster. Places like this can be a nice escape from the norm when we can keep our interactions professional.
Mind if I ask the profession? None of my biz is a perfectly acceptable answer by the way.
This reminds me of one of the gender dynamic experiences I had. At that job I had the highest starting rate in the office (for my position or similar positions), not because I was that much better or anything like that. But just because the unskilled jobs I had before paid more then the other jobs most of the other people had. Even in some cases having pretty much the same job. They had to offer me more because I was able to get more, and I do want to stress none of those jobs where skilled jobs categorically speaking.
I do try to be respectful and try to read the room before posting something.

Reactions: ggrrbb
Aug 1, 2012
Mind if I ask the profession? None of my biz is a perfectly acceptable answer by the way.
This reminds me of one of the gender dynamic experiences I had. At that job I had the highest starting rate in the office (for my position or similar positions), not because I was that much better or anything like that. But just because the unskilled jobs I had before paid more then the other jobs most of the other people had. Even in some cases having pretty much the same job. They had to offer me more because I was able to get more, and I do want to stress none of those jobs where skilled jobs categorically speaking.
I do try to be respectful and try to read the room before posting something.
Teaching...elementary specifically.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
My wife smokes her pipes like a codger. She doesn't care what kind of lighter she uses as long as it doesn't taste like petrol, she doesn't care about cleaning or reaming or scorched rims or anything like that.
I've given her two pipes, a Stanwell billiard and a Savinelli lovat. She can't even tell them apart, although one is rusticated with cumberland saddle stem and the other is smooth with black acrylic tapered stem.
She doesn't care about any of that, she just likes to smoke some Amphora Red from time to time.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are a couple that a handful of us know are female, and a couple that are widely known as female. I personally know a few, my wide included, and all four of them think that talking about smoking is pointless.
My wife (who is a good cook) refuses to join in any of my food&wine dinners because she has no "interest in spending 3-4 hours talking about food&wine"
I suspect a lot of women pipe smokers have much the same attitude - they enjoy a smoke, but discussing pipes and tobaccos - not so much

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I have never seen a woman smoking a pipe in the wild, but with the exception of at my local B&M I haven't seen any men smoking either. I only smoke at home, so I imagine that most other people do the same.

Historically speaking I believe pipe smoking and cigar smoking for that matter has been a predominately male endeavor. I think it was seen as something masculine and was marketed towards men. Half the people on here probably picked up the pipe because it was something their father or grandfather did before them. It would be great if more women smoked and were as passionate about it as men are, but unless society stops demonizing smoking, and companies start marketing towards women I can't really see it happening.

Reactions: OzPiper

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
There is a women's forum for pipe smokers. And they're askingthe same thing. Why aren't there men in your women's, pipe smokers forum? If there is a doctor here to give your opinion.............O r a woman anaesthesiologist............too1GG1.gif

• Haha
Reactions: bullet08

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It would be great if more women smoked and were as passionate about it as men are
Outside of forum chat, male pipe smokers I know just smoke. I've offered forum information to them but they've shown little to no interest. I myself just joined to inquire about cleaning estates and mainly hang around because work gives me limited human interaction.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I challenge the forum to ignore the modern activist trying to impose quotas on every group or association and instead let people choose their own associations as they see fit.
well sure I guess. But maybe more important here is that would require specific recruitment and that kind of defeats the point of a forum like this as well as the fact that we'd need to figure out what the actual demographics of pipe smokers by gender or at least get a good estimate. You know because what would the quota be? What number of ladies would reflect the real world number. Oh and the other reason that just wouldn't work here. Is this isn't a situation where you have to apply to join anyone can join. There isn't anything we really can do to change the percentages here in any super active way. You know like if it was a job with a quota we'd just have to shuffle a few applicants around which by the way if we didn't get we'd be fine. (you know that's how it works if nobody in the demo is applying you're fine, cause you're not preventing those people from joining).