PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
Just picked up this nice Stefano billiard -- a brand I have had good luck with i n the past -- and got it all cleaned up ready to smoke. It has a very small chip just below the rim of the bowl. Don't think it will crack but does anyone have any idea how to fix it up? Thanks in advance.

sawmill grill hampstead

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Think of it as a beauty mark. Besides, you'll probably do more damage than good, trying to tweak a small flaw like that.
But if it really bothers you, send it to a top flight restorer, like George Dibos, who can subtly reshape the area and carefully re-stain so that the patch doesn't show up under different lighting conditions, something very few people can get right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the world of pipe smoking. Chips, dings and other beauty marks will forever mark up your pipes. I have a 600.00 Bruce Weaver with a chip on the bowl and I don't even see it as I am so used to looking at it. If I look at the pipe long enough I will see it and then it will piss me off but that is what it takes for me to really see it.

Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lol, I was wondering the same. I drop things often due to uncontrollable release. But I seen a Peterson pipe I would like to get. But was curious about small chips if happens.
Can you buy the exact stain a pipe company uses?
Nope, but if you have a good color eye you can mix up a match from available dyes. Patching is trickier than re-staining, since you have to match to original stain, and match it in a way that it looks correct from different lighting angles. One way I can spot a patch job is that the stain reveal the patch as you turn the pipe against the light.

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
Nope, but if you have a good color eye you can mix up a match from available dyes. Patching is trickier than re-staining, since you have to match to original stain, and match it in a way that it looks correct from different lighting angles. One way I can spot a patch job is that the stain reveal the patch as you turn the pipe against the light.
Ok. Thanks.
Maybe I'll just get one with a silver drop protection rim. ? they do look nice.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I belatedly concur. A few little marks on a pipe give it character, personality, patina. A little charring on a brim, a little chatter at the bit, it makes a pipe looked lived with. A well done fill is an absolute prize, for example on these old Benton house pipes from Iwan Ries. You'll get to tolerate it, then to find it handsome.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Best leave it be.
It is to deep to slightly top the rim , or to feather it out with micromesh.
Patching requires restaining ( the entire stummel ) . I master it close to "invisible", but only practice it when
an estate pipe is in dire need of restoration.
It's only cosmetics and a matter of randomly ordered atomics.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It's only cosmetics and a matter of randomly ordered atomics.

That's a bit too blasé for my taste; I rate aesthetics much more highly. It's been a very long time since I was a eighteen, but I'm pretty damn sure that when I saw The Deep I did not view Jacqueline Bisset as "a matter of randomly ordered atomics".

Had I seen a chip somewhere in Ms. Bisset I would not have considered it a tactful nod to wabi-sabi, but a severe disappointment.

I had a nice pipe I let my 92 (at the time) year old father use and as he lit it, he missed and burned the rim pretty profoundly. I was a little taken aback at the time although I did not show it but I know he won't be around forever and when he is gone, this one thing will remind me of him every time I use it.

It's now my most precious pipe.... Probably always will be....

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just picked up this nice Stefano billiard -- a brand I have had good luck with i n the past -- and got it all cleaned up ready to smoke. It has a very small chip just below the rim of the bowl. Don't think it will crack but does anyone have any idea how to fix it up? Thanks in advance.

sawmill grill hampstead
I was a pimply adolescent and I have deeper acne scars on my face than that :)
In all seriousness, let it be. In trying to fix it, you may end up making it more noticeable, as others have commented