Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Then, A friend turned me on to the nuances of the Marvel Universe, or one of them. Apparantly the X men don’t have anything to do with tge Avengers.
The rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four stuff were owned by Fox, and the Avengers, and I guess all the rest, by Marvel Studios. However, I think that Marvel Studios just got the rights to pretty much all of it, so it’s possible that there could be some X-Men + Avengers stuff coming.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Fury 0/5 after all the hype this was appalling. Plot was awful, characters were poor and this has to be the worst war film ever made.
If you’ve never seen it my advice is keep it that way.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Simultaneously one of the WORST films ever; and the GREATEST ever.
I’d say 95% of the film is pure trash (and I LOVE the slasher genre), but watching the “Garbage Day” sequence more than makes up for it.
(* If you’re curious, type Garbage Day in on YouTube search and it should pop up)
1/5 ( the 1 point is for the aforementioned sequence)ECDA6136-1CC7-4E68-B0E3-C98EC6A129D7.jpeg

Reactions: Gus and jpmcwjr

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
A gloriously ridiculous slasher from the mid ‘80’s. Laughably implausible situations: a dozen people show up for a class reunion and don’t think anything’s amiss with an empty/abandoned school, no greeters, etc. a woman that decides to take a BATH amidst a slasher stalking her and her friends? And what high school features a bath tub??? The standard coital moment? (How does murder and mayhem make one horny?) The “let’s split up” gambit that inevitably fails.

It’s delightfully absurd, only fall back is the cop out ending. I’d give it 4/5 but due to the awful swerve ending.....3.5/5. Still fun.DCD1E23A-9956-412B-AF39-15E44B1B897D.jpeg

Reactions: Gus and jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
I bought the digital download of Glengarry Glen Ross and watched it again. Definitely in my top 3 movies of the 1990's. The cast, the story and most definitely the dialogue is all incredible. Most people's favourite bit is the Alec Baldwin "A-B-C" speech, and while that is brilliant I prefer the scene where Al Pacino tears Kevin Spacey's character a new asshole for costing him a sale. The last line "you fucking child" and the stare he gives always makes me laugh.
5*/5

Roma getting based:

The rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four stuff were owned by Fox, and the Avengers, and I guess all the rest, by Marvel Studios. However, I think that Marvel Studios just got the rights to pretty much all of it, so it’s possible that there could be some X-Men + Avengers stuff coming.
At this point I’m not sure how they’d integrate Xmen into the Avengers. I could see the Falcon, “where the hell were you guys when Thanos killed half the world?”

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I bought the digital download of Glengarry Glen Ross and watched it again. Definitely in my top 3 movies of the 1990's. The cast, the story and most definitely the dialogue is all incredible. Most people's favourite bit is the Alec Baldwin "A-B-C" speech, and while that is brilliant I prefer the scene where Al Pacino tears Kevin Spacey's character a new asshole for costing him a sale. The last line "you fucking child" and the stare he gives always makes me laugh.
5*/5

Roma getting based:
Incredibly well written, and can't think of any movie with more of an all-star cast, all of whom give stellar performances...but special mention goes to the late great Jack Lemmon imo. RIP. 5/5 for sure.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Incredibly well written, and can't think of any movie with more of an all-star cast, all of whom give stellar performances...but special mention goes to the late great Jack Lemmon imo. RIP. 5/5 for sure.
Yeah, Jack Lemmon was shear class as "the machine". Like you said everyone was brilliant in this but Al Pacino's character Ricky Roma is my favourite, I just love his dialogue.

Not everyone loved the movie though, here are some genuine 1 star reviews from Amazon USA for the blu ray release:

"Too much language. Not a great plot."
- R Murphy

"Not quite sure why everybody loves this. It's slow moving, boring and pointless."
- Kelly Ann Evers

"We thought this would be a good movie due to its outstanding cast. Wrong."
- ekm

But my personal favourite is this one:

"I did not order this movie and can not figure out how to get a refund Help."
- Cari Ham

???

Jun 9, 2018
England
I just re-watched Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen's appearance on New York public access tv from 1978. It was filmed a few weeks before Nancy was murdered and about 5 months before Sid took a heroin overdose and died.

It basically involves people calling in and asking some really dumb and funny questions. Sid is just taking the piss and insulting the callers whereas Nancy comes off as sometimes a bitch but also sometimes quite funny.

Alongside Sid & Nancy is Stiv Bators from Dead Boys and The Lords of the New Church with his girlfriend. To be honest they hardly get a word in and this is definitely all about Sid & Nancy. It's an interesting snapshot of a moment in time and definitely worth a look if you're interested in punk and/or Sid & Nancy.

As an aside I saw an interview with John Lennon that must have been made not long before his death where he mentions having seen Sid & Nancy's appearance on this public access show (John was of course living in NY at the same time Sid & Nancy were) and he gives his thoughts on The Pistols and a few other bands like Madness, Blondie and The B-52's. It's only a couple of minutes long but again it's well worth a look if John Lennon and his opinions about the new music of the time interest you.

Here are links to both interviews (5/5 for both btw):

Sid & Nancy

John Lennon

Status
Not open for further replies.