PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
6'1, 190lbs, 37 years old. Sagittarius, hates long walks on the beach. Smoked for about 13 years now, at least 1 bowl a day, in addition to smoking cigars or sucking snuff into my nose. Previously smoked cigarettes for about 4 of my teenaged years.
At this point I feel like it's too soon to say if anything negative will occur, but I am not worried about it. At this point in my life I've been exposed to so many hazardous chemicals, there is no way I could ever point to one thing specifically and say, yep.. that's tobacco's fault.
The only thing I can say that pipe smoking specifically has had an effect on is my oral health. I tend to clench in the same spot on both sides of my mouth, and have had a little gum recession directly next to where the bit sits on my teeth there. My dentist surprisingly suggested that it wasn't necessarily the tobacco, but the heat/drying action of the smoke. I do a swish of some biotene if I've been smoking a lot and it has been stable since.
I should also say that my pipe smoking has been beneficial to the ongoing good health of those around me, because if I was force to stop with all the nonsense nowadays..
Biotene eh? I’ve been using mouth wash post bowl to try to encourage good oral health with piping. Can’t say it’s impact one way or the other but if there are better options out there to promote good oral health, aside obviously from brushing, might be worth looking into.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
47 years old

5'9"

116 pounds

4000+calorie daily intake

A max of 3 hrs/day sleep

Cigarettes, pipes, chewing tobacco, and snuff daily since 17 years old and have worked a 7/12 job for 9 years. Doctors can find little evidence of tobacco use and even blood work shows that I may only occasionally smoke a cigarette.? My metabolism will likely put me in the grave before tobacco.
I’m surprised the doc didn’t come back with “I found blood in your tobacco stream!” ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
5' 8". 56 years old. 182 lbs. Smoked a pipe since the age of 14, chew tobacco daily. Gave up cigarettes years and years ago although I will occasionally smoke one if offered although they taste different to me these days probably since they are filtered. Numerous health issues past and present that I treat with moderate alcohol consumption and some pills the quack writes me a script for every month. I eat a well balanced vegetarian diet along with fish and the odd crustacean but never on Friday!

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Biotene eh? I’ve been using mouth wash post bowl to try to encourage good oral health with piping. Can’t say it’s impact one way or the other but if there are better options out there to promote good oral health, aside obviously from brushing, might be worth looking into.
It's more like mouth moisturizer than it is like a traditional mouthwash. Seems to help ease tongue bite too.

I am not affiliated with Biotene in any way. If you want, Walmart makes the exact same thing called "Equate Dry Mouth Oral Rinse" for significantly cheaper.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’ve smoked pipes off and on for about 49 years. I smoke outdoors only for several reasons, including limiting the amount inhaled, which isn’t possible smoking indoors.
I’d have to say I’m a heavy smoker, at 3 to 4 bowls a day, on average.
Just had my yearly physical, and while I have a couple of issues, my results are generally excellent and my lungs are clear.
Smoking is not a healthy habit and I accept that.
Smoking will play merry hell with your gums, so be proactive with mouth care.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
It's more like mouth moisturizer than it is like a traditional mouthwash. Seems to help ease tongue bite too.

I am not affiliated with Biotene in any way. If you want, Walmart makes the exact same thing called "Equate Dry Mouth Oral Rinse" for significantly cheaper.
Hey, I like affordable, it enables my TAD hahaha!

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Unless you're a perfect health enthusiast who eats totally clean whole foods, lives away from pollution, uses all natural products and clothes, exercises regularly, keeps low blood pressure, etc etc I don't find the concerns bigger than what most of us are exposed to every day. Something will get you one day.
You aren’t wrong; none of us are getting out of this alive.

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
Unless you're a perfect health enthusiast who eats totally clean whole foods, lives away from pollution, uses all natural products and clothes, exercises regularly, keeps low blood pressure, etc etc I don't find the concerns bigger than what most of us are exposed to every day. Something will get you one day.
Death rate has been a constant 1 death/person for a long, long time.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
My health is more government by my work environment than anything I’ll ever smoke or ingest.

I’m more concerned with heavy metals left over after a fire than pipe smoking.

Fun fact. I’m more likely to get bladder cancer than anything.

Carry on. That’s what I do.
Sounds like a Firefighter to me

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
48 years old. First picked up a pipe 1.5 years ago. Have always been fit. No history at all with tobacco. I can’t imagine what type of convulsions my body would undergo if I Inhaled… so no, none of that. The pipe is inconsistent with my general constitution, but I enjoy the occasional (1-2 per week on average). My approach:
Always 9mm filter; Never drink hard alcohol when I smoke, usually ice coffee or ice water (statistics show alcohol and smoking to be what really increases risks). I am a nerd and keep a quick and easy spreadsheet for each smoke. If I ever get to a point where my long term average exceeds 2 bowls per week, everything will turn red, as a warning (I’m right around 1.5 bowls per week, and that suits me just fine). Many weeks I don’t smoke, some weeks (like when wife is out of town) I may have 3-4, that’s why I keep an average over time.
And I will say I am more diligent/intentional about oral health now.

I’ll say this, I rode a motorcycle for 10 years, I feel my pipe use is far less dangerous. Cheers

Last edited:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
While anecdotal threads like this can be both entertaining and cathartic, I think that a previous poster touched on the important point that those with serious smoking-related illnesses aren't here to talk about it. And, of course, you often don't know that you have serious health issues until the doctor's office calls with the lab results.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
47 years old

5'9"

116 pounds

4000+calorie daily intake

A max of 3 hrs/day sleep

Cigarettes, pipes, chewing tobacco, and snuff daily since 17 years old and have worked a 7/12 job for 9 years. Doctors can find little evidence of tobacco use and even blood work shows that I may only occasionally smoke a cigarette.? My metabolism will likely put me in the grave before tobacco.

You're not a small human but rather, the largest hummingbird in history. LOL Of everything you've mentioned, the 3 hours of sleep per day would concern me the most.