PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Hey I am enjoying C&D Blockade Runner this week. Its the first crumble cake I have had. But its super loosely compacted - just falls apart when you touch it.... Seems like it might as well just be 'ready rub'

What is the purpose of this tobacco format?

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I'm really enjoying tighter crumble cakes, it's extremely convenient and easy to tug off what you need. Like @chasingembers says, gravity filling is kinda what you have to do.

It doesn't seem to fall apart easily and dry up (if you're careful). And you don't need to carry around a knife (like you would a plug). All around 'do like'.

Random sidenote: I just took out a brick of War Horse Green - and the added bonus with War Horse Green; my pipe is now dedicated to the equine playdough-anise monster.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
What is the purpose of this tobacco format?
Haven’t tried Blockade Runner but am loving Black Frigate which uses BR as a base. I think plugs, flakes and cakes are made for various reasons and have long traditions and histories. That said, all of them marry the flavors of the components and contribute to the ultimate character of the blend. They also take up a lot less space. Cakes are meant to be easy to rub. The components are already cut to the size for smoking - usually a form of rough cut. As someone else mentioned, you can keep some larger clumps in there or rub it out completely.

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I think you get a little bit of flavor marrying from pressing the cakes. Not as good as a plug or a hard pressed cake though.

Status
Not open for further replies.