PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
At least vulcanite can be cleaned, amber just crumbles away.
Yes, I won't be dissembling that pipe for cleaning too often !
I unscrewed the stem as gently as I could to examine it, and a tiny chip flaked off. Thankfully I used CA glue for a quick repair and it is almost unnoticeable.
Now I'm thinking of storing the pipe in its case In-between smokes

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, I won't be dissembling that pipe for cleaning too often !
I unscrewed the stem as gently as I could to examine it, and a tiny chip flaked off. Thankfully I used CA glue for a quick repair and it is almost unnoticeable.
Now I'm thinking of storing the pipe in its case In-between smokes
I've got an orific amber stemmed KB&B with a bone screw tenon. I never remove the stem but thankfully the airway passes a standard pipe cleaner.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Amber stems are always an issue but if treated with care they usually pretty serviceable. The ones to watch out for are the late 19th century amberite stems made from a mixture of resin and xylene as these can be viewed as cancerous. They tend to show up more often as cigarette holders and are not that common on pipes but it is wise to keep an eye out for them. Strangely enough the best stems are the Redmanol stems that are often mis-described a 'red amber' since these are not only very durable but clean up beautifully. Like all amber and 19th century composite stems sunlight is indeed your enemy. Here is my 'Pipe Dejour' a rather fun 5" 'Cutty' from a no name maker from the late 1890s.

thumbnail.jpeg

Last edited:

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
2IFHsBtl.jpg

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I got most of these over the past couple months. A few thin walled ones there were my first. I just went kinda crazy getting them over the last several weeks I guess. Several are CAO and want an SMS and other partial makers. Still learning them though. the big straight CAO Bulldog and small Bulldog on the left, the man, claw (hard to hold, put on a stand for my preferences and another I think I’ll sell. The rest I am smoking all the time. :). Still new to meers Though and been reading obsessively. I have a dozen or so Meer lined Kaywoodies and Grabows etc but that hardly counts I’m guessing they’re all pressed and gimmicky but they sell nicely and are fun to clean up, look pretty when done. the very old ones especially. My Meer craze can be largely credited to Bremen Piper on YouTube (YTPC)Awesome guy, channel and content My next “want” is a silver spigot or army mount Meer. Maybe a standard billiard shape or apple. I like partially bent pipes a lot too. Takes some weight off if going hands free for a bit and still easy enough to get a cleaner through.2BA5F4CF-3325-4C19-B213-04E057E8D556.jpeg

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
I got most of these over the past couple months. A few thin walled ones there were my first. I just went kinda crazy getting them over the last several weeks I guess. Several are CAO and want an SMS and other partial makers. Still learning them though. the big straight CAO Bulldog and small Bulldog on the left, the man, claw (hard to hold, put on a stand for my preferences and another I think I’ll sell. The rest I am smoking all the time. :). Still new to meers Though and been reading obsessively. I have a dozen or so Meer lined Kaywoodies and Grabows etc but that hardly counts I’m guessing they’re all pressed and gimmicky but they sell nicely and are fun to clean up, look pretty when done. the very old ones especially. My Meer craze can be largely credited to Bremen Piper on YouTube (YTPC)Awesome guy, channel and content My next “want” is a silver spigot or army mount Meer. Maybe a standard billiard shape or apple. I like partially bent pipes a lot too. Takes some weight off if going hands free for a bit and still easy enough to get a cleaner through.View attachment 88821
Very nice meer's.?