PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m still waiting on a tobacco pipe at the Chicago ISC, which I’ve found out through my postal inspectors buddies, is the least efficient ISC in the US, and also leads the US in thefts. ? I was only able to contact them once, and it involved an argument about the tobacco pipe NOT being tobacco, which is what the lady claimed.

I was hoping my buddies could’ve helped, but their inquiries were to no avail. I’ve gone on the USPS complaints, and read through others. A lot of the same thing.... being having their stuff sit for MONTHS, at the Chicago ISC. And a few, where their stuff just disappeared. Hope I eventually get my pipe. Cost me a pretty penny, and it was sent Registered, so the shipping was about $30.
I hope that it works out for you.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
This will be interesting. In my experience, Estervals greatly undervalues the shipment in the import declaration. Not sure why this was rejected.
Very interesting. Naturally I'm keen to learn the details of what's going on. Have you (... or the intended recipient, if it isn't you) already called DHL Express to find out what's going on?

I recommend doing so immediately rather than letting the chips fall where they may and attempting to remedy and situation after the fact.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
In a certain sense it's actually a good thing that a need for customs duty has been communicated, ostensibly giving the parties involved an opportunity to remedy the situation. Hope it works out!

Reactions: ofafeather
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Very interesting. Naturally I'm keen to learn the details of what's going on. Have you (... or the intended recipient, if it isn't you) already called DHL Express to find out what's going on?

I recommend doing so immediately rather than letting the chips fall where they may and attempting to remedy and situation after the fact.
No, I haven't.

I see that the status has changed to "

Further Detail

The Clearance process for this shipment is on-going with additional details required for clearance

Next Step

The clearance process will continue once the additional details are provided for clearance"

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Got an email from DHL asking whether the tobacco was for smoking in a pipe or hookah and the name and address of the manufacturer. They also required a Power of Attorney form which included my SSN. They also needed proof of my SSN with a photo of both sides of my Social Security Card or the top half of my 1040. A few of the tobaccos I had to guess at the manufacturer. I think they were all Mac Baren, Dan, or K&K. Fingers crossed. I think I ordered too much at once. Either that, or the change in administrations could be at play.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Got an email from DHL asking whether the tobacco was for smoking in a pipe or hookah and the name and address of the manufacturer. They also required a Power of Attorney form which included my SSN. They also needed proof of my SSN with a photo of both sides of my Social Security Card or the top half of my 1040. A few of the tobaccos I had to guess at the manufacturer. I think they were all Mac Baren, Dan, or K&K. Fingers crossed. I think I ordered too much at once. Either that, or the change in administrations could be at play.
How much is 'too much'? I ask for future reference.

And ... has your paperwork been submitted successfully? I think it's promising that you've been given an opportunity to remedy the situation, although it amounts to an unfortunate series of bureaucratic hoops.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How much is 'too much'? I ask for future reference.

And ... has your paperwork been submitted successfully? I think it's promising that you've been given an opportunity to remedy the situation, although it amounts to an unfortunate series of bureaucratic hoops.
I refused the body cavity search requirement.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I haven't ordered from Esterval's in over a year or more, but they did undervalue the shipments they sent to me. Assuming that they didn't want to trigger the attention of Customs inspectors.

Bottom line - If you're figuring on having something slip through and avoiding paying taxes and duties, go ahead and roll the dice...
I saw the info they submitted for this shipment and it was all legitimate this time. Shipments a couple years back were missing a zero, so a 400€ shipment became €40. I’m not even sure the shipment ever left the hands of DHL. This might’ve been a pre-screening event.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I tried calling in but DHL said it was in customs and that they did not need any info from me at this time. The package actually went to Ohio, was returned to Germany, then sent to Miami, Florida where it is now in customs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well my last order made it in 4 days with no issue, but this one did not. Hopefully I get it.
View attachment 85923
T'were I, I would be contacting DHL to get this sorted out, and not wait for them to contact you.

EDIT: Wrote this before your later post appeared.

This does have me wondering if some honking large orders are raising suspicions that stores are masquerading as individuals.