PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
One of my first pipes I ever drilled. Plugged with a delrin tenon, filled with water and allowed to sit for 24 hours for the purpose of seeing the affects. I am providing no opinions, only the results.

Notes:
  • Water Used - Well water through a water softener. Filled warm.
  • Average ambient temperature: 74 F
  • Average relative humidity: 63%
  • Duration: 24 hours
  • Pipe was smoked maybe 6 times for its life
  • Tenon was capable of being removed and reinserted repeatedly after the 24 hours. No appreciable difference in fit, no splitting of shank around tenon
  • Last blend smoked was Penzance. It still smelled like Penzance before and after the soak.
  • My only regret was that I did not weigh the sample before and after.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 31
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 29
Aug 1, 2012
@fireground_piper

I applaud your attempt at furthering conversation by gathering and presenting information. I find it interesting.

The problem is that several members here on both sides of the question have abandoned reasonable debate. It's sort of like sports, religion or politics to these members. Some on both sides feel attacked by others (many legitimately) as the conversation has gotten nasty. That I can think of, three posters on one side of the discussion and two on the other routinely abandon the rules of the site and choose personal attacks. Regardless of the intention of the post, they will do so again.

That said, thank you for posting your experience.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Before the forum renovations someone had conducted an experiment on this as well. I seem to recall he submerged the stummels in jars for days or so. Would be interesting to see it relinked (forum search doesn't work on my terminal, ergo I won't try to find it).

Reactions: fireground_piper

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Excellent testing. I applaud your efforts. ?????

Here’s one I did a few years ago.

BTW, the tortured pipe smokes great and is regular rotation to this day.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not a surprise. Like I posted on the last thread, a member here actually submerged a pipe in a jar of water for the better part of a week, then dried it out for a like amount of time, reattached the stem, and it fit perfectly.

For those of us who water flush there is no debate, there are only results, and we like the results. The hysteria thrown at us by people who have never once tried this is not a debate. It's hysteria. Do it, don't do it, but don't insist it doesn't work when you have never, ever, tried it. And don't imply that those of us who use this technique are lying about it.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Excellent testing. I applaud your efforts. ?????

Here’s one I did a few years ago.

BTW, the tortured pipe smokes great and is regular rotation to this day.

That was a good read! Interesting with the freezing and thawing aspect added in.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Not a surprise. Like I posted on the last thread, a member here actually submerged a pipe in a jar of water for the better part of a week, then dried it out for a like amount of time, reattached the stem, and it fit perfectly.

For those of us who water flush there is no debate, there are only results, and we like the results. The hysteria thrown at us by people who have never once tried this is not a debate. It's hysteria. Do it, don't do it, but don't insist it doesn't work when you have never, ever, tried it. And don't imply that those of us who use this technique are lying about it.
Hear , hear !

Status
Not open for further replies.