PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dLpiper, hello again. My wife lived in Greenwich Village on Waverly Place for decades, eventually also having a small house on Long Island up near Riverhead. I had a great time commuting to visit over several years. I also visited her in her apt in Chelsea years ago as a sailor between stations on my ship, USS Gallant and Midway Island. Fond feelings for NYC and surrounds. She was a journalist and learned Manhattan and the Burroughs as well as Long Island in excruciating detail. Many tales. I had a fine visit to Nat Sherman's pipe shop before it closed.

Jan 27, 2020
dLpiper, hello again. My wife lived in Greenwich Village on Waverly Place for decades, eventually also having a small house on Long Island up near Riverhead. I had a great time commuting to visit over several years. I also visited her in her apt in Chelsea years ago as a sailor between stations on my ship, USS Gallant and Midway Island. Fond feelings for NYC and surrounds. She was a journalist and learned Manhattan and the Burroughs as well as Long Island in excruciating detail. Many tales. I had a fine visit to Nat Sherman's pipe shop before it closed.

Did you meet her during Fleet Week?

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Welcome, and my sincere condolences. I too live in New York...Da-Bronx to be exact. Not a day goes by when I don't question my sanity, or my judgement.

Re: Pipe-Smoking: The learning curve should be interesting. Don't give up when you hit some plateaus. Patience brings its rewards.

Have fun and ask questions, often. Good luck.
You to, I’m also in the BX and like you question my judgment and sanity every time I pass through Mott Haven lol

Jan 27, 2020
Welcome, and my sincere condolences. I too live in New York...Da-Bronx to be exact. Not a day goes by when I don't question my sanity, or my judgement.

Re: Pipe-Smoking: The learning curve should be interesting. Don't give up when you hit some plateaus. Patience brings its rewards.

Have fun and ask questions, often. Good luck.

That's too bad for you. I feel pretty relaxed and sane. Others may consider me otherwise but that's none of my business.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, no, we were old friends from Journalism School at University of Missouri, and kept in touch by letters. Our lives went in different directions, with other people. I was married to another much beloved woman for 24 years, then was a widower for about ten. Then my wife and I got back together. My wife and I met when we were both teenagers. My first wife and I met in grad school.

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Thanks. I'm in Queens. Seems there aren't many good B&M shops around. Nat Sherman's closed down. I went to the old "De La Concha" which is now a Davidoff, but not a large pipe section.
Try the Barclay Rex its downtown by Wall st. Great selections, great service to all customers from the blue collar dudes like me and the MTA guys to the big money Tycoons. I can’t recommend them enough. Also which Davidoff, the one on 6th ave is run by a pipe smoker and is better for us then the one between Madison and Park

Reactions: dmcmtk

dLpiper

Lurker
Jun 2, 2021
Yes, I have a relative who lives on Waverly. NYC can be an interesting, fun city. Although I think one day I will move somewhere quieter/with more nature and less crowded.

dLpiper

Lurker
Jun 2, 2021
Try the Barclay Rex its downtown by Wall st. Great selections, great service to all customers from the blue collar dudes like me and the MTA guys to the big money Tycoons. I can’t recommend them enough. Also which Davidoff, the one on 6th ave is run by a pipe smoker and is better for us then the one between Madison and Park
It was the one on 6th Ave. The guy seemed to know his pipes. I will check out Barclay Rex next time I'm downtown.

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Gotcha, Davidoff is more for cigars and at a high price (like all of NYC). The Barclay has a history with pipes, and they have a good selection of tins and a few house blends as well. Yes they still have a blender but I don’t believe they have a carver anymore but they still have a few basket pipes carved by the owners father

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Thanks. I'm in Queens. Seems there aren't many good B&M shops around. Nat Sherman's closed down. I went to the old "De La Concha" which is now a Davidoff, but not a large pipe section.

Welcome from the other side of Long Island, I’m in Sag Harbor. I used to love going to the old De La Concha. Right now the best pipe tobacco selection I know of is The Tobacco Corner in South Huntington. They don’t have much in the way of pipes though. It’s also where the Long Island Pipe Club meets, you can learn more here:

www.longislandpipeclub.com

Here‘s the tobacco selection at Tobacco Corner:

D4117AC2-17A5-4E86-87AF-8A5427814BCD.jpeg

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Welcome from the other side of Long Island, I’m in Sag Harbor. I used to love going to the old De La Concha. Right now the best pipe tobacco selection I know of is The Tobacco Corner in South Huntington. They don’t have much in the way of pipes though. It’s also where the Long Island Pipe Club meets, you can learn more here:

www.longislandpipeclub.com

Here‘s the tobacco selection at Tobacco Corner:

View attachment 82889
Well now I know where I’m going this weekend. Thank you for sharing this spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.