PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Went to a local cigar lounge to look at cigars. Noticed Prince Albert tubs tucked away in top of a shelf. Asked the clerk how much these are selling for. He said “ How much do you want it for?”

I said “One dollar.” Yea I went super low just as a joke. He rebutted “I can do $15 each, no one buys these and they have been there for years.” Cleaned him out. Got 4 tubs for $60. Left with no cigars.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Went to a local cigar lounge to look at cigars. Noticed Prince Albert tubs tucked away in top of a shelf. Asked the clerk how much these are selling for. He said “ How much do you want it for?”

I said “One dollar.” Yea I went super low just as a joke. He rebutted “I can do $15 each, no one buys these and they have been there for years.” Cleaned him out. Got 4 tubs for $60. Left with no cigars.
That’s a steal! Nice job ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Wait. Do they supposed to taste bad? I must have been smoking wrong stuff. I knew it was too good to be true. Damn it.
yeah it's supposed to taste like garbage and excrement. You're tongue is also supposed to get kind of flaky afterwards. That's how you know you are doing it right. Why do you think some experts hate aromatics they cover up that nastiness that says you're doing it correctly. Also if you don't feel like crying each and every single puff you're just doing it wrong.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Nice. Just over a buck an ounce. To me PA is very similar in taste to most of the other codger blends.

Some days I’m just in the mood for something simple. Granger, PA, Sir Walter, etc...

If they sucked so bad, why are they still around after decades...?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I'm very happy to know that these weren't thrown out, and that someone bought them who knows they are a value beyond their 'sale' price.
I'm sure you could sell them for $200 right now.
I thought he was joking when he said $15 but granted he also stated they have been sitting their for a long long time. He said 10 years but I’m not sure. Maybe he’s lost track. Either way. They had some Mixture 79 as well for @BROBS but PA is clearly superior.

C

carolinasmokes

You did good, I would have jumped on that deal too! I bet the tobacco will be just fine, I've had open Carter Hall tubs for a year or two and whenever I took a scoop or two it was still moist and fresh. The tubs are awesome. Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can't beat the price. PA's popularity on Forums is at a low ebb right now, but it is a classic tub blend, and it's all some smoke. I'd say you did well. If it sits on your shelf too long, I bet you can resell it for a profit. The cocoa flavor is a little too pronounced for me, but I've enjoyed it in the past.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Nice! I got an 8 oz bag of the elusive Penzance today for $45...Glad I didn’t pay someone $200! I have to smoke more to really determine if I like it that much. But, initial impression is there are better. It’s good, but really people...? Maybe a few more bowls down the road I’ll get the hype?

Reactions: trouttimes

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nice! I got an 8 oz bag of the elusive Penzance today for $45.
That's as close to what I always paid for it.

But, initial impression is there are better. It’s good, but really people...? Maybe a few more bowls down the road I’ll get the hype?
You've already gotten the full effect. Wait until you try the cough syrup laden Stonehaven and wonder why smokers pay $300/bag for it.?

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
That's as close to what I always paid for it.

You've already gotten the full effect. Wait until you try the cough syrup laden Stonehaven and wonder why smokers pay $300/bag for it.?
I won’t try that one. I do like margate better than Penzance. Marketing genius behind the product. How they release it, etc. I can’t imagine having a tub full of it... ?. But if I did, I’d sell it for $200 a bag as well and laugh all the way to da bank!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I won’t try that one. I do like margate better than Penzance. Marketing genius behind the product. How they release it, etc. I can’t imagine having a tub full of it... ?. But if I did, I’d sell it for $200 a bag as well and laugh all the way to da bank!
After spreading a few pounds of it on here to those who hadn't tried it, I blended what loose I had left and traded pipestud a bag for two tins of Murray's Three Year Matured Virginia. Other than trading fodder it's not a sublime tobacco.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I personally can’t stand PA. My dad liked it. After he died I must have had 10 tubs if it. I will say this I
Used it for compost. It makes wonderful compost.

Reactions: Tar Wheel
Status
Not open for further replies.