What Do You Reach For When You're Looking For A Flavour-Bomb?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
So far, Pembroke is my fav Esoterica
I thought Pembroke would be my favorite, and I really wanted it to be because good Cognac has always been my preferred spirit.
Then I tried ASTB and it changed everything. I still really enjoy Pembroke, but ASTB, St Ives, and Germain's Royal Jersey Original are where it's at, for me. I've seen folks claim the topping is Calvados, apple juice, ale, vanilla, licorice, coffee and Cognac. No clue what it is, but I think it tastes like Fruit Stripe gum with a hint of some kind of brandy booze in the background.
A good friend of mine that also loves Pembroke and generally has similar tastes in tobacco as me, absolutely hated ASTB. Said the tin note was sickly sweet, and the smoke made him wretch. Oh well, more for me!
Fwiw, I find ASTB to be the most oriental forward, possibly Margate with a topping or Pembroke with added sweet toppings. StIves has a bit more vanilla and is lighter on lat. And Royal Jersey is also more vanilla/licorice and might contain the most Latakia and black stoved VA of the lot. I'd put all three in the preferred "flavor bomb" category, with Pembroke, Margate, and Penzance a step down the ladder.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I've been partial lately to Kajun Kake or Chenet's Cake. Those 2 are pretty flavorful to me. Seems like every time I enjoy Kajun Kake I'm online ordering another 2 lbs of it ?

Reactions: JOHN72

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you like both, Mac Baren Plum Cake and The Solent Mixture may also be good for you.
While I enjoy MB Plumcake, I don't think it tastes anything like Pembroke, ASTB, or anything else made by Germain's. It has far less latakia, the rum topping has more of a sweet traditional Danish flavor, and the tobacco takes much longer to dry and burns hotter at the same rate of smoking. Where I can get away with puffing like a freight train with Germain made blends, Plumcake is like most of it's MB siblings and pretty unforgiving of anything beyond the softest sip (I'm aware that factor that doesn't affect you, but for us mere mortals, it's a thing).
It does deliver a more massive aromatic hit at the puff, so it certainly counts as a flavor bomb, and I agree it's a must try for those that enjoy boozey topped lat blends, or for those that miss FMC and want to branch out (not at all similar in flavor, cut, or texture, but they're genre stablemates for sure.)
But...
I actually like ASTB and Pembroke just as much (maybe better?) than FMC(gasp).
I can't say the same for anything made by MB, even though I regularly enjoy and smoke several MB blends.

Reactions: JOHN72 and dcon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No, I have not smoked cotton boll. Still, if it is a non-aromatic burley, I can't see it being as flavour- intense as Latakia. It's still burley
And without the soot, latakia is just a mild flavored oriental. You've smoked too many processed burleys, the strong stuff will give you're taste buds a black eye.

Reactions: JOHN72

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
And without the soot, latakia is just a mild flavored oriental. You've smoked too many processed burleys, the strong stuff will give you're taste buds a black eye.
Well since I'm too much of a pussy to smoke Cotton boll, what would you recommend? Id say the fullest tasting burley I've had would be HH Bold Kentucky. Since that is dark-fired burley, I'm assuming that is why the taste is so rich compared to something like haunted bookshop (which I realize is not straight burley, but pretty damn close)

Status
Not open for further replies.