How Do You Cellar Your Tabac De La Semois Bricks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Morning Pipesters,

I was looking to add Tabac De La Semois to my cellar and was curious whether anyone stores it in its original packaging.

Does anyone give this blend the mylar treatment or store the bricks as is with their tins?

(I am looking for discussion that goes beyond the "just jar it" approach.)

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Not sure why you're looking for something beyond jarring it. Some prefer to cellar in mylar, but as a victim of a classic and KISS approach, I've always thought Mason/Kilner jars, properly sealed and kept away from temperature and moisture extremes offer the best protection short of pressure canning it yourself.

Reactions: rushx9

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Semois just didn't do anything for me so I don't really care whether you jar it or bag it or keep it in the original container.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Jarring it will protect it from humidity fluctuations best. It will not really improve with age, but at least in glass it will keep just fine for as long as you need to store it.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jun 9, 2018
England
I watched a documentary recently on eccentric billionaire Howard Hughes. They stated that when he went a bit more eccentric than usual and wasn't cutting his toenails etc. he was storing his piss in Mason jars.
If Mason jars are good enough for a billionaire to store his piss in then they're good enough for your Semois bricks.
I personally use mylar to store mine in. Semois that is, not my piss.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
honestly I put some in jars and some in a generic plastic bag and they seem the same. Taste the same have the same everything. Honestly I think you could just leave it open on a plate and it would be fine as long you don't leave it in the rain.

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.