PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I’m wondering if I’m the only one who finds that pipe tobacco generally taste better with alcohol. My Va usually taste sweeter with a glass of white wine or a beer. Plus the nicotine hit is more manageable. I know that theoretically alcohol affects our tastebuds but I still feel that most tobacco tastes better with a nice drink! What do you guys think?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
For me, it's a perfect combination.....liquor.........Wine, Brandy, Rum, Whisky, Cognac....etc......It gives me taste pleasure greater, in general. It works well for me.............It's true that it gives an extra sweetness in a smoke

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To really appreciate a blend, I think water is the best, though I like beer, wine, and on occasion bourbon with a pipe, but the flavors of the beverages do crowd some of the subtlety of the pipe blends. It may be true that alcohol cheers up the mood, so makes the tobacco taste better, but for shear enjoyment of a blend, water's best to me.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I find the opposite, and I enjoy bourbon, rum and vodka. I'll occasionally combine the two things but I have to accept it's going to change my perception of flavors from the tobacco. For me, it's a negative effect so I typically keep the two activities isolated from each other.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jttnk

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m with fireground on this. I love Rum, Bourbon,vodka etc... but it some how messes up my enjoyment of pipe smoke. Occasionally the cigar and rum are great together. A true tobacconist/ bartender that helps make pairings can be great.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
According to some of the summaries of studies in the 60’s, I think described in an American Surgeon General’s report of some kind, combining pipe tobacco with alcohol regularly did increase incidence of mouth/throat cancers by a large margin. It was speculated there was some evil synergy with the two in creating cancers.

(Pardon my lack of a citation, as I don’t keep references once I’m done looking into a subject.)

Because of this I only rarely partake of both together, but it’s a shame. A lager with Presbyterian, a porter or stout with a codger burley, whisky with Englishes, it’s a great game to play.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Status
Not open for further replies.