PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I'm curious whether the ultimate home blend might be one that starts with the raw leaf. I have no desire to try, but I wonder whether any serious hobbyists are sneaking into nearby fields of bacca to strip a few leaves. Does anybody start with raw leaves?

I'm curious whether the ultimate home blend might be one that starts with the raw leaf. I have no desire to try, but I wonder whether any serious hobbyists are sneaking into nearby fields of bacca to strip a few leaves. Does anybody start with raw leaves?
I do, but from my own homegrown. Most of the time, I prefer my own over commercial.

I imagine a single Virginia would produce a couple pounds of dried product, yes?
Not really. On a Flu-cured type of plant, you can really only use the lower half, so it takes about six plants to make a pound. Any higher on the plant, and it rips your throat out with harshness. There are hundreds of varieties of what pipesmokers call Virginias, so that can vary.

Reactions: JOHN72
some of the decorative types make good snuff but not in a commercially viable way. Not all of them but a few or so I have heard.
Many of what pipesmokers call "oriental" are small and decorative. Heck, they are all pretty when they go to flower. But, if you let them flower, you don't get the nicotine, which is the good part.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Many of what pipesmokers call "oriental" are small and decorative. Heck, they are all pretty when they go to flower. But, if you let them flower, you don't get the nicotine, which is the good part.
Do you have your federal allotment? You can't just go 'round planting tobacco here and there without the "dad-gum dad-gum guv'ment's" permission, to quote Roger Miller.

It would be impossible to regulate growing tobacco. They could detect hemp, because it was a unique species with unique color signature. Tobacco shares so many genes with almost 70% of our food crops, you’d have to make them split hairs between what is a tomato plant and what is tobacco.

No, growing tobacco for personal use is perfectly legal, moral, and full of vitamins. You just start getting into sticky territory when you start selling or gifting it away.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Sure you can.

"According to the U.S. Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, "The Tax and Trade Bureau does not license, or require a permit for, growing tobacco."
I'm surprised to hear that, but what do I know, after all. But when I lived in NC, bacca was strictly regulated as to which fields could be planted, how much in that field, etc. The stripped stalks had to be left standing until a government inspector could certify how many plants had been harvested. Farmers would buy/sell allotments just like developers do with wetland permits.

Jun 23, 2019
The value of "the ultimate home blend" is much like the value in "home cooking", it's the customization and specificity to your tastes.

Someone on the forum was documenting their growing journey, but personally, I think buying blending tobacco will more than suffice. McConnell makes some top quality stuff, or you can even go wholesale.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My neighbor had a tobacco allotment. Maybe a third of an acre. He grew, dried , and sold at the local auction/warehouse.

if I remember, lots of labor intensive processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.