PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Conversely a thread could be started about tins drying out and there would be likely (this is an assumption on my part) as many people stating they've had problems with it as there are people in this thread saying they've not had problems.

So the only fully reliable solution is to remove your tobacco from its tin and put it in a jar.

Sounds like a case of "damned if you , damned if you don't".

If I had a time machine I could go back to 1971, see all the really cool bands again, and stop by a well stocked tobacconist, and load up the time machine and bring all of it forward to 2021... ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have around 40-50 2012 GL Pease Navigator tins and recently cracked one and it is perfect. The tobacco tastes great and the tin was also perfect. I saw what happened in the early 2000's as I had some of those early tins.

I had sold all of mine before I knew there were problems. I had taken a break from my pipes and when I came back, I had lost my taste for Latakia blends and sold off what I had left. All I had was Penzance, Pease and Murrey made Dunhill tins. 4Noggins sold off my stash and most of the tins were sold for 60-65 a tin. I paid about 5.00 a tin mostly from Jrcigars as they had the best prices on that stuff. I don't remember them having any Pease stuff. I bought all my Dunhill from them at 5 bucks a tin. I think I bought my Penzance from my local guy and those tins were around 5 bucks. If my memory is any good I bought my Pease stuff from PC or SP.

Back in 2012 when I was going full tilt on building my cellar I had tried GL Pease Navigator and knew it would be a winner with some age to smooth out the Kentucky. I was right that the Navigator would be a winner and his tins were fine. Yes I have some bulging and when I cracked one of those the woosh was nice. If I knew how well it would age I would have bought another 50 tins.

select565

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
I remember reading a comment on a thread a few months back that queried whether vacuum sealing an unopened tin was counterproductive as it would essentially reverse the tin’s factory seal.
Oh no. I’ve spent a whole lot of time vac sealing unopened tins recently. Never thought about the vacuum reversing the seal. Maybe the pressure from the vac isn’t enough to break a proper factory seal.

germinal

Lurker
Mar 18, 2021
Sweden
I remember reading a comment on a thread a few months back that queried whether vacuum sealing an unopened tin was counterproductive as it would essentially reverse the tin’s factory seal.

Vacuum sealing can pop the tin. For mylar this does not matter, except again resale value. For plastic vacuum bags it will not be good long term.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I cellar round tins as they are - anything rectangle, paper or opened goes into a mason jar.
Anything else seems like overthinking it, to me personally at least.

There were times when I would worry about temperature cycling between 71 and 73F or humidity between 30-35% for that matter, these days I just sit back and let things take their course. I found that most of the time it's beyond your control what happens anyway and if I really open something that's gone bad... so be it. puffy

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I sort of half assed Mylar storage on my square tins a couple of weeks ago. I sealed without vacuum my more valuable tins and laid them on top of my non mylar tins in the coolers I use for storage. I’m not really sure what my long term plan is. likely I will continue to pay attention to whats working out for everyone and move from there.

Reactions: BROBS

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Wow thanks for the heads up Ive also started moving sealed tins into mylar bags. I guess the flip side is that this discovery proves that the tins are indeed leaking, albeit very slowly, which justifies the whole premise for storing them in mylar. Then again, I don't want rusty tins especially if I want the option to re-sell them down the line.

Im gonna have to rethink this idea. Like others have said, they have 20 year old tins that still have good tobacco inside. Probably because most blends are already fairly moist to begin with, meaning it will take a very long time to slowly dry out.

Reactions: BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
We all hope that tobacco is safe in sealed tins but as we see that's maybe. I never trusted Mylar, and I still wouldn't. Everything, everything goes in jars. I'd be damned to spend money on tobacco and have go south for lack of protection.

Reactions: Servant King

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never even thought about using mylar bag until few weeks ago. And the only reason is due to bulk blends. It made sense to store bulk blends in mylar bag for long term storage. But the tins? That would be like wearing belt and suspender at the same time?

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and 3rdguy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is no way I am opening every tin I have to put them in jars. I will take my chances on my experiences and Pease can take his chances on jarring all his tins.
Harris,

Do whatever you want to do. I'm just relating to people, some of whom may not be of the same mind as you, that probably the best known and highly followed advocate of aging in the tin came out about two years ago and said that jars are better. His cellar is far older than yours, and his failure rate is what prompted the change.

Jar 'em, don't jar 'em, I couldn't care less about what you do with your cellar. I care about what I do with my cellar.
I bagged my Eso bags in Mylar after I found out about the pinholes in those bags. I've jarred just about everything else, or left the tins in plastic bins for the time being.

Reactions: fireground_piper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ford may know more about cars and trucks than me, but when they started telling people to go back to changing their oil every 3 months or 30,000, I decided that I should just do my own thing, ha ha.
Pease can scream at me to put everything in jars till he is blue in the face, but that is about the stupidest thing I ever heard. Especially since I have never ever had a seal break on a tin.
Besides, I think if Greg knew his suggestion was being bantered about like it was dogmatic gospel, that he would be the first person to cut those people down to their knees. Dogma doesn't belong in pipesmoking.
What dogma? Greg was sharing a recommendation based on his experience. And if he didn't want it known he wouldn't have published it, would he? Keep in mind he's been cellaring since the early 1980's, so he's got much more experience with this than anyone opining on this thread.

Blackmouth210

Lurker
Apr 17, 2021
I use mylar bags for about half my cellar.
But, I remove the tobacco from it's tin when bagging.
It never made sense to mylar the whole tin.

If I was willing to remove the tobacco from the tins in order to store blends in Ball jars, I figured I would do the same with mylar bags.

No problems so far.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use mylar bags for about half my cellar.
But, I remove the tobacco from it's tin when bagging.
It never made sense to mylar the whole tin.

If I was willing to remove the tobacco from the tins in order to store blends in Ball jars, I figured I would do the same with mylar bags.

No problems so far.
It makes a certain level of sense to people who have been hoarding cellaring with the intent of unloading selling tins at usurious amounts a modest profit to targeted victims their friends in the piping population.

Oct 7, 2016
Keep in mind he's been cellaring since the early 1980's, so he's got much more experience with this than anyone opining on this thread.
That is about when I started. Prompted by people I met a shows like Indiana Briar Friars who were already doing it. Blends were already changing/disappearing. It didn’t take a genius to listen and learn.

There are several ways to keep tobacco in smokeable condition. It will change over time. You might like the changes, you might not. Another smoker storing the same tobacco the same way at the same time might disagree with your opinion of whether the changes are an improvement or not.

As direct a quote as I can give from Dan Jenkins: “ A man can travel far and wide, all the way from shame to glory and back again, but he ain’t going to find nothing in this world that is dead solid perfect”

If you are convinced that storage in Mason Jars is the only way to go, I think @cosmicfolklore has posted several things in various threads that might give you pause.

Cellaring makes sense to me because tobacco won’t be any cheaper, blend recipes and raw ingredient supply chains change, blends get discontinued, and it may be that some day in the future we have to live with only face to face sales.

Except for the desire to preserve tins in pristine condition for sale down the road, I can’t think of a single reason why I need to be concerned about surface rust on a tin inside a heat sealed 7 mil Mylar bag. I hope, and I don’t think it is entirely unreasonable, to be alive and smoking a pipe in 5 years. 10? My executor will have had to deal with any rust issues by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.