PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
He plays bass clarinet I believe for the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. He also wrote a book on building traditional cane rod fly fishing rods. I can’t speak highly enough about the quality of his work.
I browsed his site for a bit last night and read his bio. Sounds like a really interesting and talented guy.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
With many of us stuffing our faces with processed carbohydrates, many of us have grown to look like these pipes. Beautiful maybe but fat? I kindly say this, and it's just my opinion and take on them , of course. All but one are very heavy looking, to me . I would not he stout enough to carry it off ,speaking for myself.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
With many of us stuffing our faces with processed carbohydrates, many of us have grown to look like these pipes. Beautiful maybe but fat? I kindly say this, and it's just my opinion and take on them , of course. All but one are very heavy looking, to me . I would not he stout enough to carry it off ,speaking for myself.

Every Jack Howell I've seen, including the ones I own, are very light weight. Less than 2 ounces. Easy to clinch. What's your reference? Are you serious, kind of slow or just a troll?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Howell is one of the better carvers around. But don't limit your PAD to just him as there are a number of great carvers out there. Nate King, Jesse Jones, Andy Peterson, Scotty Piersell, etc.
you really want to spend money there's Jeff Gracik, Brad Pohlmann, Julius Vesz, etc.
You are correct. But right now, I don't believe any of those carvers will come close to the price Jack is asking for his pipes.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Howell is one of the better carvers around. But don't limit your PAD to just him as there are a number of great carvers out there. Nate King, Jesse Jones, Andy Peterson, Scotty Piersell, etc.
you really want to spend money there's Jeff Gracik, Brad Pohlmann, Julius Vesz, etc.
I am currently on Jesse Jones list but have over a year to go, based on his initial availability. Another maker I've been lurking on is Clark Layton, because he has a reputation of engineering and smoke-ability design over aesthetics, although his pipes are beautiful. The only thing that has kept me from purchasing the Layton pipe at Blue Room is that it is over the $400 ceiling that I've set for myself, so that things don't get out of hand.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Clark Layton is very good as are many others.

If Jack Howell is charging as much as Jeff Gracik and Heaven Forbid he costs as much as a Vesz Hand Cut Circle D. Those go for $4K a piece.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
Clark Layton is very good as are many others.

If Jack Howell is charging as much as Jeff Gracik and Heaven Forbid he costs as much as a Vesz Hand Cut Circle D. Those go for $4K a piece.
I do not want to speak for @hoosierpipeguy but I believe what he meant about Jack's prices compared to other carvers is the prices are lower than all of the names that you mentioned.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I do not think Jack's pipes are going to appeal to everyone and I would never try to argue such a point. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, regarding weight, of the four Jack Howell pipes I own, the heaviest is 42 grams.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
I do not think Jack's pipes are going to appeal to everyone and I would never try to argue such a point. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, regarding weight, of the four Jack Howell pipes I own, the heaviest is 42 grams.
Yes it is indeed a very subjective thing, "Beauty" but objectivity I did not mean there actual wieght in Gram's ...... but in the aesthetics, to the eye ! There balance of line and mass,and constraint, is something of a hit or miss to my eye looking a just a few here, so far . There fine pipes I'm sure , No question about the quality , weight, care in workmanship and materials or best of all, how they smoke I guess , and from the comments, sure .

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’ve been going back and forth about commissioning a pipe from Jack. I hesitated because it’s more than I would normally spend on a pipe but also because I was indecisive about exactly what I wanted. Today this beauty popped up on his site and I put it on my cart about 15 different times. I went all the way to the checkout at least 4 times on several devices. Finally, after about 5 hours I pulled the trigger. In about 20 minutes the package was shipped! Can’t wait! Man, this site is dangerous. ?
237645E3-FF86-4435-AE45-37D17351FC6F.jpeg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’ve been going back and forth about commissioning a pipe from Jack. I hesitated because it’s more than I would normally spend on a pipe but also because I was indecisive about exactly what I wanted. Today this beauty popped up on his site and I put it on my cart about 15 different times. I went all the way to the checkout at least 4 times on several devices. Finally, after about 5 hours I pulled the trigger. In about 20 minutes the package was shipped! Can’t wait! Man, this site is dangerous. ?
View attachment 67810
Saw that one, was tempted myself. That should be a killer flake pipe. Congrats.